Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Franklin Steering?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce Chev, May 20, 2017.

1. Deuce Chev

Deuce Chev
    from Pacific NW

Was visiting with my 98 year old grandfather earlier, he was reading about a recent build someone did and they used a Franklin steering box. He told me that in the early 50's his best friend was going to build a 32 Ford, he said that his friend bought two Franklin steering boxes and he'd for some reason left them at my grandpas house, his friend passed away before he got a chance to build the car.

After a little more talk my grandpa told me where the steering boxes were and to "go get them" he also said that in the early hot rod days the Franklin boxes were the "go to" boxes but he couldn't remember why.

Here's the two boxes I picked up today.

Attached Files:

2. Deuce Chev

Deuce Chev
    from Pacific NW

Any ideas of the years these are or value?

Attached Files:

3. Well, Franklins were really good cars and if the steering was anything like my 1929 Franklin window regulators were, you have some good units there. One revolution and the window was down or back up. No cranking and cranking. Most Franklin parts were engineered to work very well. You could go over to here and ask what they are worth....http://forums.aaca.org/forum/59-franklin/

4. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Those boxes are different than the Franklin box that was so popular for use in early sprint cars .

Last edited: May 21, 2017

5. F.O.G

F.O.G
    from Pacific,Mo

Sure it wasn't Frankland he was referring to?

6. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

7. The steering box on the left in the first post is from a mid to late 20s Chev.

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Franklin steering box in my roadster. DSCN0037.JPG

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Welcome to the HAMB.
    He hasn't been around (posted) these parts for near four years.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2023
  10. I have one for my (very stalled) B OHV Dryer sprint car project, with the same aluminum box by Peewee Erlbacher as posted in the above link by @The37Kid. Yes they are rare, but correct for early race cars. Yours look very different unfortunately.

11. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you don’t get all the answers here, might be worth talking to these guys. Pretty interesting little museum if you’re in the area. Most walk thru’s are guided by someone who also does the restorative work.

https://franklinmuseum.org/