Register now to get rid of these ads!

Frame Z ??????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slazzen, Sep 27, 2003.

1. ok I finaly scored a clean model A frame. I am gonna run a 40 rear end ass. How much do I need to add to use the stock tork tube from the forty rear? With my 39 box and a 8ba flatty ??? I read Ryan`s tech post but I am not sure if my application is covered?? also any one got a design for a x-member to use 39 pedals ???

2. Mart

Mart

I'd guess at about 2 and a half FEET!.
    Slazzen, you're on the right track, but have made a wrong assumption. You need to add to the length of the frame to allow for the rear spring being behind the axle. Someone here will have to state the exact dimension, but it's 7 or 8 inches. (You can measure it on your 40 rear).
    If you left the torque tube the stock length, the engine would be a long way too far forward.
    You then need to settle the engine and tranny where you want them, and shorten the torque tube to suit. If you can get hold of one, shortening a 33/34 torque tube and driveshaft is simpler.
    Mart.

3. ok yep I need to add some so Ryan`s post makes sense now