Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Frame Prepping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zuki4x4, Nov 5, 2018.

1. zuki4x4

zuki4x4

Hi fellas,

Joined up to ask a question I can't quite find an answer for and there seems to be some good threads here in terms of metal working, frame restores, ect..

1st, Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

I am working of a frame of mine and I need some input on the route I am taking.

I wire-wheeled the entire frame (the best I could) down below the top-coat, under-coat and original primer.

Pretty much got to bare metal everywhere possible.

I bought some phosphoric acid etch-prep and sprayed the entire frame.

After rinsing it all off, I noted light surface rust glazing over the entire frame.

I wiped off the etch with a lint free cloth and began to nervously hit it with etching primer, being that I saw it surface rusting.

Now to my questions --

Should I have done something to the glazing/surface rust before hitting it with primer?

I live in California (minimal humidity), could I have just painted the bare metal with etch primer and skip the phosphorous etch (too late now i suppose for this question)

Would I be money ahead taking it to a shop and blast/powdercoating it? ($750 quoted)

Any input helps and thanks again,
    -zuki

2. zuki4x4

zuki4x4

decided to take the frame to a local powder coat shop

3. alchemy

alchemy

When I use the phosphorus acid etch and rinse (as directed on the label) it does usually leave a tinge of rust color on the bare metal. It is less if you can wipe it dry and blow it dry very soon after rinsing. I have never in 40 years of doing this experienced peeling paint. I think the color is just fine, and it's not really much "rust" to ruin the beneficial bond the etching creates.

zuki4x4 likes this.
  4. zuki4x4

zuki4x4

Thanks for your reply sir, much appreciated.

I decided that my sanity and final finish was worth the money...

I found another shop that quoted me 600 since I wire wheeled/disc'd the frame and it wasn't all road grimed up...

I figured I needed 2-300 ish more in material, so pay the man 300 to finish the job for me.

=)

5. boring-hop-yard

boring-hop-yard

I just went through this myself. when you etch with acid you want a primer that states the adhesion will be improved with an acid etch. I use CRE-921 from PPG industrial epoxy when I etch and SPI epoxy with no etch