Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects FOUND ON CRAIGSLIST 50s ERA CUSTOM

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by oldsjoe, Apr 8, 2018.

1. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

2. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Moriarity pick up the white courtesy phone.....

Pretty cool that an early Custom tri five Chevy conv. stayed a Custom and didn't get restored to stock. Price tag probably has a lot to do with that.

Anyone know what title/date magazine it was featured in?

3. Vanness

Vanness

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app[/QUOTE]

That’s funny!!! He probably knows about it.

4. Squablow

Squablow

Pretty sure I've seen this car discussed here, and I feel like the price has come down significantly since it was first posted for sale. (was like 50 or 55K a while ago). Still might be kind of pricey, unfortunately it's probably more valuable in stock shape than it is as a survivor custom. Neat though, it does have some documented history.

5. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I am thinking there is an earlier thread about this one. I am a major CRS sufferer though.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A good example of that age of custom show cars where a number of extra touches were added to garner show points. It actually doesn't look all that bad though.
    It looks like the flairs where added to the fenders when the fat tire and deep reverse wheel craze was in vogue.

7. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

It’s been forsale for awhile plus they boogered up the wheel wells from the original you have too cut a few things off too bring it back

Sent from my iPad

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah, seems like we talked about that car a year or two ago. and while it has come down a lot in price, I think it is going to be a tough sell

Peanut 1959 and rodncustomdreams like this.
  9. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I'm a hot rod guy. This car is a perfect example of why I don't dig customs. To quote my brother concerning originality or " period" work.....

"What sucked then, sucks now."

Me thinks there was a lot of the (Emporer's New Clothes) thing going on in the late 50s concerning.....taste.

302GMC, 48fordnut, blowby and 4 others like this.
  10. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

The price is a joke. I don't think it's well styled even from a period perspective, and probably holds more value as a legit 57 ragtop that some one will get new panels for an put back the way it come. I'm fine with that.

11. RMONTY

RMONTY

Three letters....UMF! Just my opinion of course. It looks like the front of it got caught up in this!

[​IMG]

302GMC, blowby and hidez57 like this.
  12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

13. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The rear bumper and taillights look great.

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if it was built in 1960 that probably looked pretty regular driving down the street next to a new Mopar.

15. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I agree that a 32k asking price is too steep a starting point to restore it as a period Custom or stock 57, but don't be surprised if this ends up being restored to stock. Bummer for us Custom fans, but the fact that the starting canvas is a 57 Chevy Conv. is a factor that has to be reckoned with.
    For what 55-57 Convert's go for in any shape, I'd say if the car dips down into the low/mid 20's, a restorer will snatch it up and dive in on a factory restoration. Swapping in a stock front clip is easy. You'd be purchasing new bumpers and side trim and doing the interior anyway. The only heavy body work will be hanging new quarters, but there's really no major rust or rot to deal with such as missing floors, rockers, etc. The car is with the second owner (since it was only a few years old), solid and has only 11,000 miles on it. It's a dream for the owner of a freshly restored 60 year old car to be able to state the resto started with a 2 owner, 11k mile, rust free car.

Some more info/photos. Somebody should be tar and feathered for installing those malignant high back buckets in the car.

https://www.customcarchronicle.com/news-flash/kentucky-kustom-found/

oldsjoe and rodncustomdreams like this.
  16. Buy up the leftovers and hang them on a tudor.

17. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

A guy around me recently got $5K for what was basically a pile of dust, a couple convertible top bows, and a VIN# and matching title for a '57 ragtop. Despite this having a ton of ugly custom work done, all of the wrongs can be righted for about $5K in new sheetmetal. The hood kinda looks like a NY Rangers logo tho, but I still don't like that car.

chevy57dude and oldsjoe like this.
  18. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I can't behold a stock 57 or that custom on my allowance so. Joe

19. 57Joe is right about the 5K for the sheet metal. Add another 6 for chrome & stainless, and 3 for the interior. Paint will be 8-10 if the buyer wants it to be worth ragtop money. It adds up fast. Hopefully someone will return it to it's custom configuration. Probably cheaper and one of a kind.
    [​IMG]
    ^Now this is cool^. ''Aerial'' sounds better than ''antenna''.

Moriarity likes this.
  20. 29moonshine

29moonshine

he might have bought a new metal body to put the vin tag on

21. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Since everyone loves the front end, here`s a pic of it. I cut the one off of a truck from one in U-Pull it. It was something I couldn`t pass up. Cost only 35 dollars. I hope this guy sells it to someone who will leave it as a custom. You guys are on the wrong forum if you want to return it to stock. Looks like it has features similar too the 57 that Roger Jetter had. Hint of Mint. Scan0460.jpg Scan0386.jpg

22. dan31

dan31

^^^ Look it's smiling ,it knows we're talking about it.

oldsjoe likes this.
  23. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I hope it stays custom, I just hope it's customized to something better than it came from the factory. That's the rub.

It takes real balls to chop up a 57 Chevy. Not because it's some sacred cow that's above being chopped up, far from it. But mainly because you're starting out with what is one of the finest, most iconic automotive designs the world has ever seen, and you have the audacity to try to make it better. It's a tall order. Doable. But tough.

The idea of customizing the car is to make it look better than it did from the factory, not just different for the sake of being different. IMHO, this falls way short, though I do like the hood rocket antenna. So did this year's Ridler Winner. Even the El Capitola is a lateral move at best. The Dave Jenkins 57 the A Bros. did nailed it. There are even a few others I've come across that look great too but I can't remember them individually. I'd love to try to build one one day. I had a 57 in high school and I'l jump at the chance to have another.

chevy57dude likes this.
  24. I'm sorry - I tried being open minded about this oneo_O.....but it looks like it hit a wall head-on in the side view picture:( - and then they decided to paint it :eek:
    (p.s. - is that Ryan's Ford pick-'em up?)

25. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

But remember when this car was customized it was (I'M guessing here) just a used car.
    It just happened to be a 57 Chevy convertible. Now it's part of customizing history. Be a shame to loose it to another 57 droptop, all that work good or bad would be gone. Kinda like turning the Bat Mobile back to stock. Joe

stanlow69 and Clay Belt like this.
  26. Stooge

Stooge

Im a big fan of customs, and I really want to like this, but regardless of the price, im having a hard time. I didn't see it mentioned in the feature, but does it say what color it was originally? I think I could warm up to it a bit more if it was black with metallic gold or off white scalloping and striping

27. [​IMG]

Candy apple red. Doesn't say what color the scallops were, but I am guessing white.

oldsjoe and stanlow69 like this.
  28. Looks like the scallops are outlined with pin-striping. On second thought, I would say gold scallops with white outlines solely based on the fact that it had gold upholstery/carpet.