Register now to get rid of these ads!

Found on Craiglist?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Midnight 50, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

Ryan, any plans to implement a "found on Craiglist" forum? It seems to work successfully on other forums so I figured I'd ask. I always find stuff around me on CL.

Example: http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/pts/2063183657.html

Just figured I'd pick your brain for a minute on the idea. Thanks :)

2. Chris Melzo

Chris Melzo
    from Reno, NV

Good idea. I found a $600 pair of NEW fenderwell headers on CL for $150

3. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

make it a found on craigslist/ebay thread, it will have to be closely monitored for abuse though, I think it could be very useful, if someone is browsing and sees something that someone on here could use, it's just passing on the info.

4. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

That says it all right there...

5. patman

patman

6. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

I always forget about that group. It's a good idea, and we don't have to monitor it.

If anyone is interested, they can put a hyperlink to it in their sig line....

Something like this....

The HAMB "Found on Craigslist Group"

To do so, copy this code...

[<URL="http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=227&pp=20&page=2"]The HAMB "Found on Craigslist Group"[/URL>]

and take the < and the > out...

7. dwaynerz

dwaynerz

that would make a cool toy hauler with a cummins and 6 spd manual. now, if you could just find a wrecked dodge dually for a decent price.........

8. yeah seems not a lot of people visit the groups and post on them, I'm a member of atleast 10 groups and I check them all the time but never any new posts so a section for "found on craigslist/ebay" would be awesome! I'd still also like to see the classifeds spilt up by region to save me time when searching but seems that wont happen so I guess I'll just keep dreaming haha

9. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

I think all the tools we need to do what we want are here. We just need to learn to use them.

I would not expect any section or group that would cater to Ebay links.

10. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I just figured if you see a cool item, the info could be passed on thats all, sometimes I'll be browsing e-gay and see a hot rod item that someone is selling who probably doesn't know what it is, so it's going for next to nothing, if that info could be shared someone here could get their hands on it. As far as craigs list, if you can get through the scammers and fake replies, it's not too bad, I've gotten 6 emails in two days from the "president of craigslist" about a new late model exhaust I'm selling saying I won an Ipad, which of course is all BS

11. SixFive

SixFive

Craigslist might work because it's fixed price, first come- first served.

But if you can figure out how to work the HAMB you're probably smart enough to search ebay for yourself.

Think about the person that finds said hot rod item cheap and thinks he's finally going to get a good deal on some old parts.. He probably doesn't want another 50,000 people finding out about the ad.

I think if you are not going to buy it yourself, then stay out of the deal.

I don't mean this directly at you, just my thoughts in general.

There is an Aussie hot rod forum that has this feature but everything that is posted there has a bunch of like minded people seeing the same ad and bidding against each other. Cheap price gone out the window.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  12. dwaynerz

dwaynerz

i found a 61 falcon on cl, gasser style, priced decently. i tried to post the link here, but got shot down almost immediately. anyway, it was on cl, illinois, carbondale i believe. anyway, it isnt mine, and didnt look too bad in the pics. then again, what does?

13. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Well yeah Dwayne, this thread isn't meant to be a list of things on Craigslist, but a discussion about how we could work such a list on the HAMB.

So I deleted it.

Moving on,

This is part of the problem. If some lucky HAMBer trips across a cheap part, so we really want to blow it for them? Do we want to start bidding each other up? Ebay is already running prices of things up beyond sensible.

We used to allow Ebay links. Another big problem is that people start posting links to bizarre, OT crap or "abortion rods". Not just listing serious stuff.

The problem there is that we wind up having to check every single Ebay post to see what it is. I have cars to build, these other guys do too.

The other problem is that people start spamming up their own auctions. Why do we all want to pay for that?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  14. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

A lot of stuff on ebay also has a fixed price with buy it now, so it would still work, what about only listing items with a fixed price option in the possible thread? if I want to buy something I'm not going to list it of course, but If I see something someone might want, i don't mind listing it

15. silent rick

silent rick

ryan always said the hamb is not a classifieds site. it states in the rules no ebay links and i'm pretty sure ryan feels the same about craigslist too. let's not try to make the hamb like other sites out there. this board must be doing something right, it has over 100,000 members. so if you really need to know what's available on ebay or craigslist, learn to search those sites. when you're on the hamb, let's all make ryan happy and talk about hotrods and customs. it's the reason ryan started it in the first place.

16. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I don't mean for this thead to make the hamb a classified site, what we do on another forum I belong to, if you see something for sale someone might have an intrest in on the site, you post a link and a brief description, nothing else, no comments just the link and a few words, it's worked very well so far, stays in one thread, it's just passing on info you see for others, kind of like telling your buddy, Hey I saw this part for sale, I don't need it, but it's something you might want to look at . I think thats all anyone wants to do with a thread like this. Oh and you can't post your own stuff

17. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Back when links were allowed here it would really piss me off when someone would do a link to something I was planning to bid on (close to action end)
    Im glad that went away.

Everybody here im sure already knows how to search eBay and the craig list.
    Why clutter this place up more than it is and make more work for the moderators.

This discussion is pointless anyway.
    Im probably wrong but in all my years here iv never seen one suggestion from this page (Q & S) implemented.

18. metalshapes

metalshapes

Right...

So then we'd have to read every link to check that people dont do that anyway.
    ( because they will...)

Delete those, and deal with the irate P/M's that result from that.

And the next time they'd just have a buddy do it...

And as far as Ebay,
    Just imagine the guy who is looking at that mis-listed or mis-spelled auction, waiting for the last minute to bid on the deal of the century when he gets his cover blown by somebody who doesn't need it/cant afford it/or lived too far away from it.

This is much better.

No Craigslist, no Ebay, no abuse, no complications...

19. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

I agree going to craigslist and ebay is easy to search. OR post an add in the wanted section if you need parts. Who knows what people want and this thread would be endless adds of alot of stuff people don't want. It would be very hard to filter through it; ebay adds only last so long and there would be a ton of old listings to filter through.
    I like the Idea you have, but your idea to list stuff thats a good deal has already been taken it's called ebay or craigslist.....just my .02 if it works out with guidlines to run the thread and delete old posts I would visit it but without that I think it would fail

20. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

The ebay thing is just a brew for problems. The craigslist thing is a no brainer, of course it's a good thing. There is no purpose in posting something from craiglist that is yours.... you just list it here! It's fixed price, nobody cares. There's zero purpose in posting here then posting on craiglist and linking to craiglist where you also posted the same for the same price....... That's not the point here. There's millions of people posting in hundreds of cities on Craiglist.

The ebay thing is an issue because the more people you drive to it, the higher the price goes and it gets dirty. Ebay is money, business, competition. We can go to the ONE Ebay site and search for stuff, we can't go to every city in the US searching the thousand craiglist sites.

There's only "this many people" on the HAMB, but there's the whole internet on Craiglist so we CAN benefit from it greatly. "I had no idea there was a fender for a xxxx in Boise" because I can't sit here and check every city in America on Craiglist. It's not Ebay.

......and nobody is gonna use the "groups" unfortunately. Just need a Craiglist sub forum in the classifieds.

21. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  22. dwaynerz

dwaynerz

i linked a page on cl if anybody was interested in a 61 falcon gasser. im sure there would have been. anyway, it got shot down in a quick minute. i agree with a few posts prior where they said they didnt have time to search cl for every possible city. maybe the poster on cl doesnt realize or know about hamb.
    that said, i can see and understand the ebay side of the argument and agree 100%. i dont see how putting a craigslist link is any worse than trying to find whatever here.

23. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Dude, again with this? Have you read my reply to the last time you posted this?

I deleted your CL post. I have no apology for you if that's what you are looking for. This thread is about HOW to work a Craigslist area into the forum, IF it is determined it needs one, NOT a post for people to start posting Craigslist links.

24. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

Plain and simple, if someone says they are looking for a said part and you know of a listing for said part, then shoot that person a PM saying, "hey I saw you were looking for this, here's CL page of one". This would probably fall under the Wanted section of the Classifieds.

Also, just like someone else posted earlier here, if we start posting CL listings and a couple people had interest on a particular post it could turn into a bidding war. Yes I understand there's a FIXED price on CL, but if you have a dozen people coming at you with a big interest suddenly the seller is rethinking the price.

We have a classified section, it works fine. If a part is sold, seller says SOLD and the thread is closed. No one has time to chase down broken CL links here.

25. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

OK now what are the odds of that person wanting it on monday and the person with the info he needs seeing it on CL, then logging on within that week, then "happening" to see his ad in the wanted's if he does have anything to sell and doesn't go into that forum, then PM'ing him. It's just not logistically even close to the odds of sliding into a forum and bam there's a craiglist link for everyone to see.

Forget clean up on the threads, it is not the classifieds and you can't verify if it is sold. It's just a helpful link. Nobody needs to hold your hands and write closed. Just make it a CL post dump forum.

Either way, I made the suggestion because it's 99% helpful and possibly 1% something bad could come out of it. It's not ebay, and it's no different from having the fixed price here, it's just extending the parts network beyond the relatively small numbers here in comparison to the rest of the country on craiglist. If you want to know how much it will increase our parts reach, look at the number of active HAMB members, the compare to the number of active Craiglist posts.

I just looked. There are 7,584,298 active posts on Craiglist country wide right now.

26. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

I 100% agree with that. I hate logging on to ebay to see that my find has been discovered and shot through the roof in the last hour of the auction, but hey, it happens.
    By the same token, I aboslutely love coming across a fresh CL post by someone who doesn't know what they have or doesn't care, and just wants it gone. You add the Ebay factor to CL via the Hamb, no one will ever "score" again. Yeah it would be a big boom for the sellers, but it would suck for buyers.

27. Alfred_E_Newman

Alfred_E_Newman
    from USA

it's hard not to want to share a rare find from CL on here.