Register now to get rid of these ads!

Found me a nice 51 Chevy Coupe!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hebee, May 13, 2006.

1. Hebee

Hebee

I found a nice 51 Chevy Coupe a couple of weeks back. I couldn't do much more than look initially. The current owner said he had owned the car for several years. He allowed how it had been built in New Mexico about 15 to 20 years ago. It has a SBC 327 with a turbo 350 and a 10 bolt rear with unknown gears. As you can see it has frenched headlights, taillights, and antenna and frenched lake pipes. It has been shaved, nosed, etc. It is a dark metallic kinda charcoal color with very light silvery ghost flames. The car has been in a warehouse for many years and we had to install a new battery and put in fresh gas. It started right up and I drove it several blocks (not too far since no current registration). All gauges worked (including original factory gauges). It has underdash air (works great), power windows. The doors and trunk use poppers. The interior is very nice and came from a Cadillac donor car of some 70's or 80's vintage. Seats are all newly upholstered with embroidered "Chevy" logos. It has a stereo in the glove compartment. It has a layer off dirt overall that you can see in the photos. It has a nova front clip. The owner was unavailable but left me a key to the warehouse and I messed with the car (with my grandson) for a couple of hours today. I later left a phone message for the owner and told him I would meet with him on Monday. He is asking $8000 but $7000 will buy it! I'll keep you posted. There are some things I don't especially like about the car but I can change all that. :D :D

Attached Files:

2. 49 Fastback

49 Fastback
    from Ohio

Keep us posted! Another Chebby joins the HAMB! What are your plans, when you get it?
    If it were me, I'd change the stance, pancake the trunk, and fab some taillights.

Good luck

Tucker

3. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

IMO its too much bread,,, but its all your call man, if you dig it, buy it!!!

4. Hebee

Hebee

Yes- I don't like the stance or the taillights. Not too crazy about the wheels and tires either. I also want hood louvers. The late model caddy steering wheel sucks!

5. Hebee

Hebee

It may be too much but I haven't found anything for less that $10K that has all this work- albight some of it I don't like. Here are some photos of the interior and one under the hood! Those Moroso valve covers have to go also!

Attached Files:

6. It's not to much money. For the price you're getting it for, most people will only sell you something that's broke and needs work. You're getting a running driving car that requires little to make it what you want. But you do worry me by asking for opinions. If you aren't sure, then it might not be what you're looking for. I've never let anyones opinion influence me on a auto purchase.

7. Custom54

Custom54

Looks good to me, you are getting a car that has been clipped, has a small block & turbo 350. All the hard stuff is done, all you have to do is change it to your liking ie; stance, wheels, steering wheel etc. If you like it, buy it. With a few changes it would be a cool ride.

8. 50chevy

50chevy
    BANNED

I agree, That could be a cool ride with a few changes.

When I was looking for a 49-54 chevy,I remember seeing a few cars and thought they were too much $$.

Now thinking back I could not have built em for the selling price.

9. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Not too much money. If it were rolling a wasted 6 on garbage bias plys, then yes it would be too much...but to get the Nova subframe, ps/pdb, air, solid body etc...Id say its go. The main thing to do is turn down the "Camaro" and turn up the "51 Chevy" and you wil be golden! :)

10. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

You got PM. This is for sale and is in your price range.

[​IMG]

11. Are yoe sure of the year? The dash tells me its a 49/50.

12. Hebee

Hebee

You are right- I didn't do my research very well! It's titled as a 50 model. If I had any sense I would have checked the dash photos first. The currnet owner thought it was a 51. Anyway, thanks! :D