Register now to get rid of these ads!

History !!FOUND!! Grist Bros. chopped 41 Willys Build updates, History & Pics?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ether, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Kiwi Kev or anyone know where I can get a copy of a frame chart (mount measurements, etc.) for a 40-41 Willys coupe? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Chad

2. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

Attached Files:

3. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

Looks like you are making your own rear inner fender panels?
    I know it can be done, but I doubt it will look anything like the originals. Here is a pair I found for mine from Price Auto in L.A.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. SP55, Thanks alot, the chart got me closer but do you or anyone know of a chart that shows a three axis meas for all the body mounts. It would be like a crash sheet to make sure the frame wasnts bent. I need to place the mounts on the fabed frame before I proceed on. I can use it for all the mounts from the tailpan to the B-piller and will have to do some figuring for the A-piller mount as the Coupe has been shortened when the chopped it and brought everything together to fit sedan doors.

By the way, your work on your Willys looks great!!!!!

Anything that resembels a frame crash sheet would help to locate body mount location, forward and aft, side to side and up and down points. Thanks Chad

5. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

May 1961 Hot Rod magazine

Attached Files:

6. EdGrist

EdGrist

Thank you ProEnfo. I have found and ordered a May 1961 Hot Rod from eBay. While I was at it I ordered a couple of other magazines with some 1964 Winternationals coverage. Dad won his class that year and I'm hoping to find a little coverage. The magazines should be here in a week or so. If anyone else has any info, please post. All posts are appreciated.

7. CGkidd

CGkidd

This is pretty damn cool. Can't wait to see the rest of the build progress.

8. A.P. Photography

A.P. Photography

Awesome work as always Chad. I am very impressed with your skills. Can't wait to see it finished.

9. EdGrist

EdGrist

Had my wires crossed. Dad won A/Gas in 1961. All these years I've thought it was 1964 ... what can I say? I'm still trying to research 1962.

10. oz40

oz40

Go, Chad, congrats on this build.
    oz40 (Tom)

11. This thing belongs in a musuem, not some street rodded belly button car (although I'd be driving it). That's what fiberglass is for. Does the owner have any idea the value of vintage drag cars with history? This could be a Pebble Beach car, worth double a street rodded car could bring at auction. Build it right, sell it to someone who understands and appreciates what it is and start over with a stocker made into a -yawn- street rod.

12. After a little holiday break and charity work on a buddys 60s Rambler Wagon drag car we are working on, anouther buddys 51 Ford Vicky (floor, toe boards, and tunnel. As well as other mods) and some sheetmetal replacement on a 30-31 Model A cabriolet, I got back on the Willys.

Here I am trying to get the rockers figured out. This car has been used as an early drag car and some of the mods done back in the day are a little rough and father time hasnt helped either!!! I made the inner rockers, rocker supports, and cross brace. I need a measurement from B-piller mounting hole to B-piller mounting hole. Can anyone help.

Attached Files:

13. Heres where I am tonight. Finished one side and planning on getting the other tomarrow. The more I get replaced the closer I come to putting a few big pieces in the floor.

Ide appreciate the B-piller mounting hole to B-piller mounting hole measurement. Stay tooned, alot of head scratching on this one!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  14. And the other side.

Attached Files:

15. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

ETHER...if nothing else a GRIST is 1 of our new members. and thank you KIWI KEV for starting the ball rolling. this is 1 of the things i love about H.A.M.B. knowing someone is saving a bigtime dragcar...POP.

16. skywolf

skywolf

17. Anyone have any muscle relaxers????? Ive been in and out of this Willys so many times this weekend, I feel like a contortionist!!!! Would be nice to be able to open the doors again, crawling in and out throught the trunk is getting old!!!!!!!!!!!

I spend Thurs night, most of Friday, all of Sat, and Sun morning trying to give a little eye candy to the owner!!!! Well I hope he is happy with the outcome!! All of this started as FLAT SHEET 18 guage cold roll!! Not much left of the 4X8 sheet!!!!

I already had the front floor support done, this weekend I got the rear support, toe boards, front floor, rear floor, and tunnel done. EYE CANDY!

Attached Files:

18. Wow that is comming along good
    i have a short memmory of seeing that car that was my early timt for my wanting to race

19. c57heaven

c57heaven

very neat car and thread. All the help is cool.

20. EdGrist

EdGrist

Ether,

I continue to be amazed. Totally awesome. Sounds like you need to go back to your day-job to get a little rest.

Thanks for the pics ... and the great work!

21. Ed. Thanks, Im sore and cant wait to get to work tomarrow!!!!

Hey, Is it just me or is everyone dyin to see the gristbrosracing.com site up and running???? No pressure or anything, just antisipation!!!!

22. myke

myke
    from SoCal

+1 on statement.

I actually feel slightly sad that this car would not get restored to it's original state.

I bet it would be worth 150 to 200 grand easy. And all the documentaion is being collected for him right now.

He could also probaly sell the car right now for and have enough money to build a reproduction.

Or maybe this one:

http://www.gassermagazine.com/2009/02/40-willys-steel-body-coupe.html

But I understand it's his car.

Here is a link for some garnish moldings and in the pics of his projects there are pics of an original frame.

http://www.rolandsrodshop.com/

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  23. BEAR

BEAR

that willys is bad ass

24. EdGrist

EdGrist

Thanks for the interest on the website. I've been making some progress, it's just been slow. I've had a few other irons in the fire as well. Progress has been made and I have some rough copy that needs some more editing. Then I need to run it past my uncle Ralph for accuracy. I'm also playing with a couple of different page styles. I have purchased Dreamweaver software, but my antique computer won't load it. I'm waiting on Apple to announce their new line of Mac Pro computers before I decide if I'm going to go that route. This all should be happening soon, I hope. And then, there's the learning curve for the new software. Stay tuned ... and thanks again for the interest.

25. Its been awhile as i was trying to get something done on the Merc but heres making the rockers!!! Man what a job!!!

Attached Files:

26. A little A-piller and rocker work. Complete new chassis on its way as well as new front sheetmetal.

Attached Files:

27. EdGrist

EdGrist

Just checking in. Great work Ether!

Website is going very slow. My 10-year-old computer crashed a while back and as I upgraded, my new software is not compatible with some web pages I had been building, so, it's back to the drawing board.

Thanks for the great photo updates.

Eddy Grist

28. Hey Eddy, I cant wait for the site to be up and running. It would be awesome to get some of the video uploaded of the original Grist Bros Shiftmaster Special racing!!!!
    Things have been slow on the Willys since I was trying to get the merc ready for body and paint. Here are a few pics as we mocked up the Willys and measured the wheelbase with the new frontend on it. We needed to do this so we had it right for the new chassis!!! Yep, new chassis on its way but still not a nosebleed straight axle. The owner is looking for an original chassis to build one like the original Shiftmaster just in case!!!!

Anyone need a doghouse????? Great for a poodle!

Enjoy the pics and stay TOONED!!!!!! Chad

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010