Register now to get rid of these ads!

Found!! 55 Chevy Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ARNIE, Apr 30, 2011.

1. cozmic

cozmic
    from uk

Really pleased for you Arnie, enjoy

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. ARNIE

ARNIE

6 hrs of wet sanding(1500) & 3 steps of buffing, 5 beers later. WALLA!!

Attached Files:

3. Budget36

Budget36

I know it was said before, but how cool is that!

Glad you have it back...awesome you've wasted no time getting on it!

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. WOW! Looks nice.

5. elgringo71

elgringo71

Looks great, people always say that will buff out, but yours really did. What a timewarp.

wingnutz and volvobrynk like this.
  6. Saxxon

Saxxon

2 big atta-boys and a congats.... now bring it back to life and pound the crap out of it. That's what it was built for in the first place

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. ARNIE

ARNIE

THAT'S THE PLAN!!

8. When she gets a heartbeat again, you're gonna feel like you're 44 years younger! Congrats!!

Dustin

9. Looks real good! Congrats on bringing it home.:)

10. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

That looks great. Congrats looking forward to more updates

11. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

holy crap, looks great!

12. That's great, you don't even have to paint it!

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

looking good Tom

14. A, B, C, & D would have been referred to as "upper" class (closer to the beginning of the alphabet), D,E,F,G,H,I etc. "lower" class. Our '56 originally ran on the heavy end of D/Gas & was moderately competitive. Then 600 lbs was added to make the light end of E/Gas (3800 lbs. with a 283), and the car was very competitive and held the E/Gas record a number of times. During these years it was a full bodied car (minus the front bumper for ease of flat towing) & full interior with lots of ballast to get it to 3800#, so a lighter straight axle front end would have been counter productive & money wasted.

15. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Sweet!!!! Awesome to see and even better to see it cleaned up. I would have done exactly the same thing immediately!! Good for you and your friends.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. If the front bumper was removed, that alone would put you in the gas class. Correct?

Dustin

17. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

It would keep you out of the stock and modified production classes for sure...

18. ARNIE

ARNIE

A little day lite & some new Lexan side glass!

Attached Files:

Greenblade, Muttley, Butch M and 2 others like this.
  19. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Thanks for sharing , great story.

20. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

So damn cool and congratulations!!!

21. CalGasser

CalGasser

The Gas class was an umbrella - under that were A/G and on down to ?/G, depending on your cubic inch to weight ratio. Obviously the less weight and more cubes, the higher the class - A being the highest. My '55 with a .030" over 265 ran in E/G. The blown cars were designated A/GS and later AA/G on down. as my memory serves me... Vic

wingnutz and volvobrynk like this.
  22. seatex

seatex

That is just insane cool! The guy around the corner when I was growing up in Memphis had a 55 gasser front tilt cap all welded steel, roll bar and $100 taped to the dashboard. The epitome of cool, never forget that car and how it let me down this this path to ruin. You're lucky sumbitch!

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. 55Belairman

55Belairman

Looks amazing! Have a blast with it.

24. Butch M

Butch M

what can you say wow looks great

25. wheelguy

wheelguy

Arnie , That 55 is looking GOOD ! GREAT JOB ! Concerning the front bumper removal in a couple of previous post, as I remember it in the 1960s I ran a 56 chev in Modified Production with front bumper removed...The exception was if motor was moved back 10% you went into a GAS class.
    STOCK class > bumper required.
    M/P class> bumper could be removed, original engine location.
    GAS class > Bumper optional & engine could be moved back 10% (or not),but the engine set back mandated you ran GAS class.
    My 56 (bumperLESS ran C/MP and I'd drop to D/Gas if I opted to run Gas class that day (although engine wasn't set back)
    April 4, 1964 ,Tri State Drag Strip > Bumperless, Ford truck scoop, tach on the dash & "Hollywood" 5 spokes.
    My first drag race (on a drag strip), won C M/P & Little Eliminator >those were the days, Ah, sweet memories.
    56 D GAS 006.JPG .
    Before somebody chimes in that it looks like we raced on dirt this picture was on the return lane.>Kicking up a little dust with the "Plumbers Caps" removed from the Heddman headers.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
    wingnutz and elgringo71 like this.
  26. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I have a strong suspicion that Tom has a very clear image in his mind of what the car should look like when it is done. After all, it used to be his!

wingnutz and 55chieftain like this.
  27. ARNIE

ARNIE

My "little bride" re-lettered the car as in 1972

Attached Files:

Kevs56 and bobwop like this.
  28. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Frickin amazing Arnie.... good for you !

29. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I have been cheering for Tom over the past four years. I had heard of his desire to get the car back even before he started this thread. I was very pleased when he announced he was getting it back last fall.

But I was also pretty bummed when I saw him put the High Times Crosley dragster for sale. I had a hunch he was doing so to finance the build of this car. I was in Tom's house when he was agonizing over the opportunity to buy High Times and tried to give him as much encouragement as I could. Was that about six years ago

Just this afternoon, I received notice that my injected/blown 327 was finally done at the engine builders. After four years! I wish Ray Dixon would have lived to finish it, but it was done by David and will always have a bit of Ray inside. We were sitting at AutoFest in Madison with the Patriot Funny Car today deciding where that engine needed to go. First choice was a 55 gasser, second was an early Nova with straight axle. I have a Pontiac/Olds rear axle from a 56 Chevy and a race built B/W Super T-10 on the shelf, so the 55 Chevy was going to be the dream.

I get home from the show, jump on the HAMB and discover that Lil Tantrum has been for sale for over six hours! I sent a PM, then left voicemail. Between the opportunity to buy this car and the Badger BB game, I was a nervous wreck.

When Tom called, I was sure the car had been sold. Sort of. He had a promise made to hold it for an out-of-State fellow to arrive tomorrow. Of course he should honor that commitment. He decided to keep his focus on High Times, so he was going to let Lil' Tantrum go. Now I am really cranked up!

A couple hours later, just as the Badgers secured a victory, Tom called back. The wife said no, so the other guy was backing out. Lil' Tantrum was mine!

I am hoping Tom will give me permission to continue with the name and lettering style. He will have the opportunity to pilot the car when finished. A mutual friend will provide much of the skill to put this together.

What a great day for me!

verno30, volvobrynk and wingnutz like this.
  30. wvenfield

wvenfield

Lucky you, bopwop. I knew it wouldn't last long.

bobwop likes this.