Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Y-Block Pics and Ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MAD-EVAN, Dec 9, 2008.

1. MAD-EVAN

MAD-EVAN

I am in the process of building a 292 to put in my Fairlane. I would like to see some pics of any y-blocks people have or have had. Also any ideas about what to do or what not to do would be nice. Im new to y-blocks and Im just trying to absorb anything I can.

2. MAD-EVAN

MAD-EVAN

Here are my "redone" valve covers. I took the paint off of these, my air cleaner, and intake so far. I put a high temp clear coat on them. To me its like the poor mans chrome. Kind of cool to just see the bare metal. Call me crazy, but I like it.

Attached Files:

3. [​IMG]

thats my 292 that is now in my '54 ford. If you swap intakes, you'll find that the gaskets are for one side only. I wouldn't pull the dizzy, because they're real tough to get back in. Do you have a manual for a 56-57 ford? that would probably help you with all the info on them. '59's manual may have y-block infor in it, Im unsure.

4. MAD-EVAN

MAD-EVAN

My Fairlane is a 59 and the manual I have for it does have some info on the 292, including 15 steps to remove the bastard. I have another 292 that is from a F100. My plan is to use the truck block and just build onto that. Im told I need to get different heads, so the hunt has begun.

5. MAD-EVAN

MAD-EVAN

Damn nice engine by the way.

6. '55 Mercury 292 cid, '57 Ford 4bbl intake, '60 292 distro w/Pertronix upgrade, & will have a Ford Mdl 4100 4bbl carb from a '63 390/406 with a modified '56 Caddy batwing air filter, going in a '56 Fairlane. Before and after (isn't quite done yet) pictures

Attached Files:

7. what he said! Very nice!

8. jimmyv

jimmyv

Putting this one in my 31 coupe

Attached Files:

• y2_2.JPG
      y2_2.JPG
      File size:
      31.5 KB
      Views:
  9. Thumper

Thumper

10. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

If you have a truck 292 it may have the good rods and forged crank. Look to make sure. C2AE..............is the truck rod and the best Ford rod for the Y block, all you need to do is a set of ARP rod bolts/nuts and you've got a bullet proof rod.
    Here are a couple of other things that will make a Y block live and put out some HP, billet timing chain made by the guys in Oz, some roller rockers made by Rocker Arm Specialties in Anderson, CA, blueprinted oil pump (is a must) along with a nice tripower setup or single 4brl and ofcourse a little bling with polished Thunderbird valve covers. With some head work and good headers you should be able to have a nice 325/350HP street motor. If you want more, the only object is $$$.

Attached Files:

11. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Forgot some pictures of 4 barrel street motor and nice tripower cruiser.

Attached Files:

12. teddyp

teddyp

here,s a nice one

Attached Files:

13. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

There is alot of info available for Y-blocks, search the archives. Off the top of my head the only info I can add is if you change heads, be sure that both the heads and block have the small water hole drilled between the middle cylinders. You'll see the hole in the head gasket and can use that as a template if needed. If you don't run headers, be sure to get the 312 exhaust manifolds because they have larger ports. If you plan to use a PCV valve in the valley pan, be aware that some multicarb intakes will have interferance issues with the PCV. If you want to run a 4bbl, I have a couple manifolds that I'll sell ya for $60 each. Also check out your balancer. The rubber in them tends to dry out and then they split apart. And if you use the truck engine, you'll probably have to switch to a front sump oil pan.

Good luck. I have a 292 in my 57 Wagon and a 312 in my 28 PU and love them.

14. MAD-EVAN

MAD-EVAN

Nice suggestions, thanks. So I just got home and checked my heads and block from the truck engine. The heads are ECZ-G, which Im told are good. The block is ECG-6015-C, which according to Mummerts site makes it a 272 not a 292. So I have the heads that I was told were the ones to get, but a block thats not the size I thought it was. Soooo...now I just have to hope to the car gods that the block I pull out of the car is in good enough shape to be used. What are the odds, you know!?

15. kool32

kool32
    from Kentucky

16. I'd pull a head and measure the bore on the truck motor before giving up on the block. No telling how big it's been bored over the years. I tore down a 292 once that was bored out .125!

17. 272 blocks are (nowadays) nearly always bored to the 3.750 bore size of the 292, because 272 pistons are more expensive. Unless the block hasn't enough material on the thrust side of the bores, you should be fine....these are 1st-gen OHV engines & Ford used a lot of metal to make them. If you want larger, I'd recommend getting it sonic checked, which isn't a bad idea anyway.

So far as ECZ-G heads being the ones to get...it depends on whether or not you plan to port them. In stock form the ECZ-G heads, in spite of their larger intake ports & valves, flow nearly the same as the ECZ-C heads, which are easier to find & considerably cheaper. :)

18. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

if i had the time i could litter this thread with pics of yblocks but here are my 3 favorites, I have a better shot of the twin blown coupe but not here at work

Attached Files:

19. elsdvm

elsdvm

y-blocksforever.com

20. Where did you get hi-temp clear coat? I did my T-bird valve covers and it's startin' to peel off. Will have to re-do them in awhile.

21. Here is my little old 272. It's just basically a stock motor. I put a 390 Holley on it and dual exhaust and a Mallory electronic module & MSD 8mm plug wires. Runs just fine.

2008-08-03 024.jpg

2008-08-03 028.jpg

22. midnight1957

midnight1957

Guys by no means am I trying to hijack this thread but I have a different question.
    I have a 54 Mercury with a 302 Ford engine. I would like to add power steering but don't know what steering box to get from a donor car.
    There is a place that sells them for $895 which I think is too high.
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Again I apologize if I offended anyone by posting this.

Thanks and have a Blessed day,
    Wade

23. kustomkat

kustomkat

Definately don't give up on the block. Alot of them will take a pretty hefty bore. I've seen 272 taken out to a 60 over 292 with out worry. Mummert's book helped me alot when I first got into y-blocks back in the day 91 or 92. Good luck with your Fairlane..

24. MAD-EVAN

MAD-EVAN

Cusomline Vicky: I got the high-temp clear coat from the local parts store in my town. I can't remember if they had in stock or if they had to order it in. I will check the brand name of it when I get home and let you know what it is called exactly.

I have been told to check the bore on my block because it could have been bored. I guess I will find out when I get home tonight. Thanks for all the tips and pics everybody. I didn't realize just how many people out there run these engines. Really cool!

25. The old Y's ran for many years in Fords & Mercs, I think the first ones were in the '54 Mercurys as 256s and there were some Lincoln 317s too. But I think the '54 239 cid was the first Ford Y. I think the last ones in cars was '62, then till '64 in pickups. Still quite a few of 'em out there, and a stock core is usually reasonably priced.

26. Scott Miller

Scott Miller
    from Tampa, Fla

Some pics I've stolen of wild Y-Blocks ...

Attached Files:

27. tbraginton

tbraginton
    from Nevada

hey kool32 what kinda intake was that??? It looks bitchin! I just spent the last week fighting to get a 312 put together and running again after it spun a cam bearing... Everyone please note that unlike any normal engine the dots on the timing gears DO NOT face eachother. That little mistake cost us quite a bit of time. Read the manual more closely next time i guess... Ha ha

28. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

thats a marine intake set-up

29. luvzccr

luvzccr

30. WhoDoYouFink

WhoDoYouFink