Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford toploader 4spd ID needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 30dodgeboy, May 18, 2006.

1. The tag says:

RUG CL CH23
    D8UREA 0531A

What is it? Is it a good one?

My experience is with the NP833, not the top loaders...

2. Dave Kee Toploaders has a decoder on their site. Sorry no link.

3. Thanks for the info. I see it is an overdrive unit - probably out of a truck or van...

4. Or a Granada, Monarch, Fairmont.. If it has a bulge on one side of the case, it is such a thing.

Not worth as much as real toploaders. But still useable.

I see guys selling these at the swaps all the time, telling people they are out of early Mustangs, etc.

I have no problem "educating them" in front of their buyer.

5. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

yea I bought one myself. The guy told me It was a top loader 4 speed and looked just like the top loader I had.

The way I under stand it all real top loader 4 speeds have 8 bolt holes where they bolt to the bell housing.

Most 3 speed over drives have orion cast in the case (on the shifter side I think).

Always run the numbers Im not even going to use the one I have Its Junk as fare as im conserned.

6. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

Yeah, I've got one too, thinking it was the toploader 4spd... but for what I'd prolly use it for, the 3spd with overdrive is probably actually a better choice.

7. synchro7

synchro7

The early top loaders had only 4 bolt holes for the bellhousing. It's the same bolt pattern as a T-10 for a Ford. I know these were used in 1965, because I have a 65 4-bl 289 and 4-speed out of a 65 Mustang. Sometime after that Ford changed to the wider bolt pattern, and the trannies had both patterns. All 60s and early 70s 4-speed top loaders have 3 shift lever mounting points on the left side. A 3-speed top loader has only 2 and the case is shorter. And some of the later stuff used a top cover shifter like the big trucks.