Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Taurus cooling fan, WOW!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buzz bomb, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Never said it was easy. There's easy and there's right. Seldom the same thing.

2. I guess we all forget about the reality of life and ditch all the disc brakes etc and everything else that will allow us to actually drive these cars in comfort in this day and age. Or better still, we could just build it as we want it and not post anything at all on the HAMB about it in fear of getting jumped on. JM2CW

3. 46stude

46stude

You don't get it, man. Traditional hot rods & customs- not "comfort in this day & age".

I noticed when you quoted my previous post, that you conveniently left out the link I gave to a site that the tech would be more than welcome on. Real classy move.... :D

4. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

"Get a different radiator, change your distributor advance from ported to direct vacuum, etc."

Yeah, that's brilliant. All so you don't have to desecrate your car with an electric fan.

"My blown hemi w/mechanical fan can sit in traffic in 100+ temps and never get over 195."

Your blown Hemi also doesn't have any hood or fender wells to hold all that heat in.

5. All I was saying is that if the car is overheating there must be a reason. Find it and fix the problem. But then again what do I know.

6. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

i better get rid of my 33 because i have no room for a "traditional" fan and start all over..

7. JEM

JEM

Okay, purge the shoeboxes running Volvo steering boxes. Purge really any modern power steering conversion. Purge use of Vega boxes, even Corvair boxes for that matter, most cross-steer conversions, that's all '70s (late '60s at best) street rod stuff.

Purge the disc brake threads, anything that uses any calipers but, say, '50s Girling Jag calipers.

No one ran a T-5 back in the day, that's gotta go too - as do most 4-speed boxes if you want to draw the line at '64 or so, you can count on one hand the number of 'traditional' '50s rods that got a T-10.

Frame clip? Okay, that's ALWAYS been suspect in my book but it's definitely out now.

Jag suspensions as a 'tradition' really postdates the early '60s cutoff for this board.

So where do you draw the line?

8. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

Huh, my dad drove his coupe from California to Maine and back without an issue using a cut down mechanical fan that sits down low on the radiator. The thing rarely gets above 180° during even the hottest summer days.

9. I'd be just fine with that.

I've been forced to use electric fans and have always ended up with a mechanical fan. Fix the cause of your issues.

It's like putting a steering stabilizer on a shaking front end...still doesn't fix the "problem".

Respect the "man" as this is not the place for this.

BloodyKnuckles

10. subdajj

subdajj

Times 3

11. havi

havi

Hamb draws the line at 1964. Maybe if all this was purged, we'd get back to the core of what this site is about. :)

12. Cool. I like old things. They worked then........

BloodyKnuckles

13. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Damn, where'd everybody go? Oh, I see. Everyone got purged for one reason or another. I guess it's just me with my '53 Chevy 4-door with original finish, and some old stubborn SOB with his own personal leprechaun to get him 70 year old obsolete parts. OH FUCK! I'M RUNNING RADIALS BECAUSE I DON'T WANT MY WIFE AND SON TO DIE! Guess I'm out too...

reagen likes this.
  14. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

15. 46stude

46stude

The line is drawn. Some people just refuse to see them. :rolleyes:

16. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

Why purge good tech? Traditional is a fine line of hipocritical considering we are on I phones or computers here....So if the tech isnt what your looking for, then quitely move on. The pre 64 I always believed was more for the cars themselves and alot of the tech was open if it was usefull.
    :cool:

17. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Lincoln Mark VIII fans work good too. I have one out of my '94 that got wrecked and it's about the perfect size for my '57. I'll hook it up eventually. People take this period correct shit way too far. Cars should always LOOK traditional, but a few "O/T" upgrades here and there to make it reliable...? Whats wrong with that? Wanna see pics of my radials? I'm replacing my leaf springs and bushings tomorrow with new ones, they aren't 60 years old! Oh shit! Call the cops!!! Get a life and grow up.

18. havi

havi

See post #64.

My computer has nothing to do with traditional hotrodding.

Radials have been around since 1915.

I'll take my toys from the sandbox and go home now.

19. That link above on electric fans was a good find.
    It just shows all this bull has been around for many years
    and still people will want to risk sitting on the side of the
    road with a cooked motor because they are too stubborn
    to use an electric fan.

20. mj40's

mj40's

I just replaced my 16" Zirgo. It failed in less than 300 miles. The motor shorted out inside. They wouldn't do diddly and was rather rude. Looking into a Taurus fan now.

21. havi

havi

Speaking for myself, I'll use an electric fan, I have no problem with that. However, I'd post it on a different site than this one if I did. Now, i understand things cross the line now and then, i'm ok with that, but it seems that line is crossed more often than not lately

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

You really don't get what this site is about. :mad:

Ryan. :p

Never been to Austin I'm guessing. Stupid traffic, he's smart to stay out of it. He avoids it by choice. :)

Fine, just don't expect everyone here to get all happy over your choice, it is after all not what this place is about.

In the sand. But I do expect to catch shit for the stuff that is so obviously not traditional.

Boobie is smart. :D

Grandma's car. :eek:

It's the Hoffman Group, nuff said...

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Electric fans suck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.