Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford power Steering pump to chev saginaw box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1bdsinner, Apr 17, 2010.

1. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

I have a later model 302 ford in my chevy nova subframe and have adapted the lines already. I keep hearing that the ford pump will have too much pressure for the Chevy box but everything I read is Chevy is the higher pressure pump.. Anyone else using a ford pump to Chevy steering box? My pump is out of a Crown Vic 5.0 w/ serpentine belt if it matters. I also tried the search option and didnt find anything. thank you

2. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

I assume that it will work together without pressure issues i gues.. anyone?

3. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

Anyone ? I am having issues with the steering lately someone told me that the chevy saginaw steering box may have a check valve in it and the ford sterring pump might have a valve in it and they are fighting eachother? someone shed some light on this for me?

4. supervert

supervert

i have a later 302 and ford pump running with a s10 box and it is actually a little slower than it was with the chevy p pump, fords have less psi than the chevys.

i like the way mine feels, its just a hair heavier feeling than it was before

5. I have a Camaro clip in my truck with a 302 sbf. I'm just gonna use the gm pump.I got a set of double groove pulley's for the crank and water pump and gonna make the brackets to fit on the driver side. It looks doable.

6. Diavolo

Diavolo

I am researching putting a power steering pump on my flathead. From my learnings, The Chevy pump needs a restrictor or something in it if used on a Ford box. That would go with Supervert's comment about the ford pump not being as good on the S10 box. I guess other than a little sluggishness at low rpm, the Ford pump should drive the S10 box fine.

You could get a saginaw pump and adapt it? I think these guys still make an adapter.
    http://marchperf.com/pg30.html

This guy has a how to.
    http://www.azbronco.org/tech08.htm

I googled "Ford 5.0 saginaw power steering pump" and got those and other good links to look at... this thread showed up there, oddly enough.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  8. supervert

supervert

mine steers great, even at idle. the chevy p pump is only like 1 or 200 psi higher than the ford pump. i dont like the one finger steering that chevys have, so for me the ford pump and chevy box is a great combo.

i do run the chevy p pump on my yota crawler and the toyota system is lower psi than the ford system and i dont have any problams with it either

9. supervert

supervert

10. tony31a

tony31a

I hooked up the Ford pump on the 460 in my truck to a saginaw box I have'nt driven it a lot but it seems to work fine.

11. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

the goal is to use what is set up on my engine now wich is 91 crown vic pump I would like to find out if there is a check valve in either one or? I raised my front end last night and i cannot push the tires back and forth to turn. i disconnected the lines and then i can move them and the fluid pushed out the pressure line side. i rehooked up lines and again cannot move tires. i can reach down and turn the rag joint and turn it and the wheels turn with ease? lost yet? me too...

12. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

Found the problem I had a heim joint seized to the shaft so I just re designed it all with the use of some harley axle adusters and the ford steering pump to chevy gear box is working real nice now... Did some research for those with sbf that you can use the van bracket cause it was used witha saginaw pump if you wanna do that.. I just used the 91 crown vic pump...

13. terryr

terryr
    from earth