Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford (?) OD Shift Pattern ID?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MN Falcon, Oct 24, 2011.

1. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

My Dad picked up a '52 Ford 1/2 ton project. Initially, I identified the transmission as a heavy duty, probably a 4 speed, when he picked it up. Since he lives out of town I have been unable to open it up to verify what is inside, but since we picked it up he has convinced himself that I am wrong with my ID because the knob on the shifter indicates the transmission is an OD trans. I still am not convinced because I have never read about a heavy duty truck OD transmission, but the knob looks like it could be '52 vintage. If I am reading the shift pattern correctly, my guess would be that it would be a late 80's knob, but what do I know. Can anyone ID this really odd looking shift pattern -- thanks:

2 OD R
    3 4 1

2. I would guess that the trans is probably a T98 with a late model shift knob on it. Here is a link to some info on the T98. I am not sure about a heavy duty trans that old having over drive.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  3. squirrel

squirrel

maybe it's an early Spicer 5 speed? they did make them as overdrives back in the 50s. But they were only used in big trucks, not pickups

4. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

5 Speed with 5th over was standard in F-7. In 1956 My boss bought a new F-600 with one but it was an option.

5. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

This was good help. I still think the trans is heavy duty 4 speed (T98) but I searched spicer and I got this site:

http://www.chevyc60.com/the_transmission_page.htm

The Clark OD trans here has basically the same pattern except here they call 4th - D but I could see on older transmissions the use of the 4. Now all I need to do is find some picts so that I can show my Dad that he doesn't have that transmission at least

6. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

Thanks Dale, I found some info that the F7 transmission was in fact a Clark Model 204VO. I will still have to do some searching to find picts of the F7 trans, I suppose if they are not a ton bigger one could have been transplanted into this F1. If nothing else at least I know where the knob came from :)