Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Ford Model A Sport Coupe Picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Pensive Scribe, Nov 4, 2013.

1. fatcaddi

fatcaddi

It'll be a coupster. Dreaming of 32 rails but more than likely an A frame and if I can find it I'll have it on a wide 5 set up with a heavy channel. Not sure on engine choice yet. But I do have a good running 64 Buick 300 with factory aluminum heads and intake.

2. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Sport coupes are cool! B-Bob, gonna be following your build - you always turn out interesting quality hot rods.

3. b-bob

b-bob

Thanks Steve, this is a real low-budget clean-up of older restoration that I got just to keep be busy in retirement. And because of my back can only putter at it for a couple of hours a day.
    These are the latest pictures of it,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am going to paint it right here in the garage like the old days, and it will get a new repro top and front seat cover. A mouse cause these problems.
    It has a few updates like 12 volt, oil filter system, hydraulic brakes etc.

4. here's my '29, heavy chop, made a f'glass roof for it. LONG way to go still, taking too much time but I am working outside in the English weather :mad:

Attached Files:

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

^Very nice, Kim.

As I get closer and closer to starting my SC build, I have to say I'm enjoying this thread more and more, seeing the wide variety of treatments that are possible. Gary

6. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Roof looks good , need a profile pic though, I heard you guys in the U.K. only get one storm per year ....but it last's all year :confused:

7. side view, hard to get a good shot as the car port post is in the way and the car isnt rolling yet.

Dave Mc, all joking aside, the South West of England has been getting hit with bad storms for several weeks now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  8. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

for my eye- it was a challenge to keep the proportions looking right on a heavy chop with these sport coupes- heres a 3" chop with the top hinge removed.

[​IMG]

9. other sports coupes

Attached Files:

10. dutchrod

dutchrod

Just picked this up , sorry for crappy pics it was already dark and phone camera.
    Verry solid car no real rust just a little patina on the rear.
    Will have a french flathead and 40 rear end ,40 steel wheels and 40 brakes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Always amazed at the quality cars ^ you guys have over there

12. dutchrod

dutchrod

Here some better pics of my new old sport coupe , drove it around today and love it but it is getting the av8 treatment for sure !

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Good start that's for sure.

14. I've been going around stealing pictures again. Here are some detailed shots I snagged in the classifieds.

DSCN5876.jpg DSCN5877.jpg

DSCN5878.jpg DSCN5880.jpg

DSCN5881.jpg DSCN5906.jpg

DSCN5907.jpg DSCN5909.jpg

DSCN5914.jpg DSCN5866.jpg

DSCN5873.jpg DSCN5882.jpg

DSCN5857.jpg DSCN5861.jpg

15. b-bob

b-bob

The coupe is coming along, though rather slowly. The body was finally painted today and the rest of the large pieces are almost ready too.
    I want to get the front suspension painted next and put back under the car so I can move the car outside to continue painting all the parts. And that means painting the sand blasted rims so the tires can be mounted. Catch 22!
    Sure is nice to see some progress after all the sanding and grunt work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a black body line under the masking paper.

[​IMG]

16. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Brian - the paint looks great! What primer and paint did you use here?

17. b-bob

b-bob

It's all PPG's OMNI brand. Urethane. Works well for me so far.

This takes me back to the mid-seventies, painting in a small house garage.

18. b-bob

b-bob

Progress has slowed down on my A. Removed the old top material and found some bad wood that had to be replaced, ordered that and it has just arrived only to be the wrong pieces for over the doors. The pieces are for a tudor sedan, I will just cut then down to size rather than send them back to the east coast co. and more shipping charges.
    Dealing with a very sore right arm as well, using it only makes it worse, so I am waiting for it to settle down, and then it will back to getting the top installed.
    Hope I can get some work done and put up some pics soon, Brian

19. rereaves

rereaves

Agree with you this is a really nice roadster. I was at Syracuse in 2012 and also had a chance to see the car. I talked with the owner he indicated that it started life as a coupe. He did a great job, thanks for sharing.

20. b-bob

b-bob

I do have a recent pic as it sits now.

[​IMG]

The wires are painted and will get them mated with tires in the next week.

21. I don't think these have made it here yet.

A2011.jpg attachment1DVVPB7U.jpg

22. isnt that red one a '32 ?

23. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

I have always loved 28-29 sport coupes. One of the prettiest Ford body styles either stock or hot rodded in my opinion. If I found the right sport coupe, I might even consider selling my roadster!

24. Guy in town had one. I don't know why you you don't see many. Are they that rare or just not popular. I scored a nice body back in the day and thought i could make some money on it. Payed 900 and sold it for 7 in the end.I like them thou. Pic of that local one is the only one i have. The red one of course

Attached Files:

• 19.jpg
      19.jpg
      File size:
      126.3 KB
      Views:
  25. b-bob

b-bob

Finally finished the top. What a big job that was, I don't ever want to see another tack or small nail in my life.
    Also painted the rims and had 'my new to me' tires installed.
    Stripped the splash aprons yesterday to find they are actually galvanized. Looks like they were made by a sheet metal shop, and they are very well done, so need to pickup some special primer tomorrow. Will pick up my wheel spacers this week, that are needed to mount the wires to my F-1 brakes.
    Painted the fenders last Friday, but had some problems. So I will need to wet-sand a couple of oops and re-do them soon. I need to get this A together so I have room to bring my 39 coupe home , summer is getting close.

[​IMG]

26. b-bob

b-bob

I hope I don't get chased off the HAMB for this, but the coupe is changing directions.
    After chasing, begging and bothering everyone I know that has parts I have given up!
    I am a retired old pensioner with not much money and realized that the cost of the adapter to the V8 trans and the machine work to shorten the driveshaft and fourty rearend and any cost of re-building these was way more than I could buy a good sbc and auto for.
    I managed to buy a low-miles sbc with rebuilt trans from a good friend at my local wreckers.
    I have gathered a few of the parts needed to make this combo work with the A, with a couple of more to go.
    I have an extra frame and have started with the bungs that have to be welded in before the boxing plates go on. Would you believe my local metal store doesn't have 4" flat bar in stock!
    Biggest problem right now is space and the heat, we are not used to 30-plus degrees up here.

Progress will be slow, but will eventually get done.

[​IMG]

Stogy, edcodesign and ROCKER77 like this.
  27. nice job B-Bob !

28. krkx93

krkx93

Mine in the works ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420751396.839486.jpg

Came here to burn rubber and drink beer!

29. lorodz

lorodz

Hey can one of tiu guys with a 28-29 sport coupe take a picture of the rails that are above the doors so I can see what they look like ..im looking fot a pair

30. Manager

Manager

Is these any good? If not let me know where you want shots from. Flash headlight bar 001.jpg

Attached Files: