Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford FE Starter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fordguy78, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

I have a 1961 Ford 390 with the original 3-speed. This motor uses the old style starter with the long shaft and was wondering what I would need to do to convert it over to be able to use later model starters preferably a high torque mini starter. Could it be that the flywheels are different because I know they quit using the old style starter sometime around '64. I want to keep my 3-speed but want something better than the old bendix style starter.

2. BootleggerJim

BootleggerJim
    from SC

You can use either one, or a new smaller starter....Flywheel stays the same....

3. You can buy a starter drive from Marc's One, part number 8800 that has the proper teeth count and diameter to match your older flywheel and put it on the 1965 and later type of starter. I don't know about a mini starter but you can get the 65 and later version easily in auto parts stores. They have the wrong drive to match your flywheel so this drive will solve that. And it is pretty simple to put it on.
    www.marcsone.com about 20 bucks.

4. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

Agree you need this one. There are different numbers of teeth on the older flywheels.

5. barstowpo

barstowpo

Like already stated, the flywheels are different. You can adapt the older gear to a newer starter, or better yet, just change the ring gear on your flywheel. Then any newer style starter will work.