Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford FE multi carb intakes.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAD ROD, Dec 9, 2007.

1. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

I am more and more fascinated by multiple carb intakes. I have decided to ditch the single four barrel on my 1961 Ford 390 (in my 59 Ranchero) for multiple carbs. Anyone out there running multiple carbs on a 390? I know a 3 deuce setup was popular (and available stock) in the early 60’s. But what about a 6x2 setup? I am not interested in running fake carbs.

Does anyone sell new 6x2 intakes? Could they be choked down enough to run on a stock 390?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. 1928Tudor

1928Tudor
    from Fargo, ND

I have a dual quad setup on my 390 in a 68 Torino GT. Had a 3x2 set up on a 406, in a 62 Galaxie. Both work great and were ford intakes. A royal pain in the ass to tune. Plan to spend big money for either one. I've only seen one 6x2 intake. He was running only 4 of the carbs and it ran poor, looked cool though.

3. TRAMPKING

TRAMPKING
    from SGV

4. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

5. TRAMPKING

TRAMPKING
    from SGV

ive been looking for a few years ive came across a few at swap meet but $ 1000 dollars plus if you find a couple of cheap intakes let me know

6. New ones? Not that I'm aware of. Used ones can be found but they are rare and expensive.

7. old beet

old beet

I've been runnin factory Ford Tri-Power on my 390 for over 30 years. Love it, lots of HP and good mileage too. Tried dual quads but sucked too much gas. Quarter miles were nearly the same with both setups. 3-2s much more streetable..........OLDBEET

8. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

I think Tri-Power would be fun too. I think that was an option in 1961? Are the stock tri-power intakes aluminum? I might just go that route. I bet it would be as good or better a performer and less headache to tune.

Mike

9. 1928Tudor

1928Tudor
    from Fargo, ND

Yep, an option in 61. The 390hp had them and 410hp. Intake is aluminum. If you get a factory one expect to pay 1000 to 1500 for it. There also are intakes floating around with the 3 stud mounts for strombergs or the holleys there aftermarket and go cheaper.

10. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

11. 1928Tudor

1928Tudor
    from Fargo, ND

In my opinion no. I prefer the factory setup. factory setup has a progressive linkage and usses the more modern Holleys (4 hole mount). If I remember corectly with all 3 carbs it equals 1050CFM. With that projessive linkage, gives it great streetability even though the CFM is crazy.

The intake on ebay is overpriced. if you look also someone has drilled it for the later 4 hole mount carbs. No linkage, or fuel log. In my mind at most $500 to $600

12. old beet

old beet

I would'nt consider anything but FACTORY tri-power, remember, Ford sold these to little old ladies in T-Birds. Never had a tuning problem with mine!.............OLDBEET

13. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

28Tudor,

Ahh, your right. That intake on Ebay almost looks like it is for a 4 hole mount carbs but it has been retrofitted for the older 3 mount style.

old beet, good point on the factory tri-power being streetable.

So, it seems the only advantge to say a 6x2 would be looks (if that is what you are going for). And the factory tri-power seems like the better performance solution.

Thanks,
    Mike

14. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

OK, I have gone round and round (in my own mind) on this. I think I am going to try a 6x2 setup on my FE. I know they aren't the best performing setup, but I have to quinch my multi carb thirst. What the heck, I can always swap it out later..... :D

Now I need to fined one....

Mike