Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford f100 steering column removal????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grovedawg, Jan 6, 2010.

1. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Just a quick questions. I've got the steering wheel out of my F100. I can pull the column back, and see the felt washer that kept fluids down. But for the life of me I can't figure out how to get the actual steering "gear" column out. I started pulling apart the steering box, and think I might pull out the base plate and the stearing gear, but I don't know what it's bound on. Any help?

2. You don't mention a year, but it's probably one piece with the box and not intended to be taken apart. Most manual steering setups were that way until rag joints came about in the late 1950s. Probably later than that on trucks.

3. Donnda

Donnda

I have a '53 F-100 and changed my front end to Cordoba tortion bar front suspension and had to take the entire column and gear box out as one piece I should think that '53 - '56 are all like that Just my $.02 worth

Donn

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The box is removed from the bottom. Remove steering box mounting bolts from frame after putting front end up on tall stands. If everything up top is disconnected you can slide it out the bottom.

Then disassemble, service, adjust and reinstall.

5. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Sorry. It's a 55. My bad. I'll look at pulling out of through the bottom of the box. Sucks if it's all one unit.

6. DirtyTace

DirtyTace

I pulled my '60 box out through the bottom like the guys are suggesting. There's a worm gear on the end of the shaft that is captured obviously in the box. It's not hard at all if everything else is disassembled. If you have an engine in there and your working from the bottom it might be a bitch.

I bought a service manual online. Best $20 I've spent.

7. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

You pull the WHOLE unit out the bottom, take off the pitman arm, unbolt it from the frame, take off the column shift if it has one, and take off the steering wheel, and remove the floor plate. Depending on exhaust, the truck may have to be on a lift to get it out the bottom.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  8. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Crud. I've got the front clip off, but I'm not excited about having to pull it all out through the bottom of the frame between the engine, cross members, axle and crap. Thanks for the help duders.

9. Yep drop it out the bottom. Why ya pulling it out?

10. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

I'm pulling the cab to have it sandblasted. It needs a little TLC. You can check out my project thread and see where I'm at.

11. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

I'd also love to swing by one of these days and take some measurements of your shortbed. Let me know if you're cool with that. I'll probably start rebuilding my box in a week or so.

12. Yeah I noticed the pics on the other thread - after I read and posted on this one. You've made some good progress.

And just let me know when you want to come by.