Register now to get rid of these ads!

ford f h water pump question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GARY?, Aug 11, 2006.

1. GARY?

GARY?

hey all,
    i've done a search and came up dry. i would like to run the water pumps with the engine mount tabs that extend out flat, '48 and earlier i believe, on my '50 motor with the narrow pulleys.i have the 2 narrow pulley on my crank.
    1. are the pump mounting holes etc. the same? can i just put my narrow pulleys on them.
    or;
    2. could i switch the crank pulley to match the new pumps? one belt?
    the other switch that is happening is that i have an intake that is making me have to move my generator.
    3. should i go to a one belt set-up?
    my front motor mounts are waiting on me to figure this out.
    thanks ahead for the input.

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

i've done a search and came up dry. i would like to run the water pumps with the engine mount tabs that extend out flat, '48 and earlier i believe, on my '50 motor with the narrow pulleys.i have the 2 narrow pulley on my crank
    Early pumps will fit if you plug certain holes, narrow pulleys won't fit them, AND you'd need an early cam and the good distributor. Early belt location doesn't clear late distrib---see earlier post (flathead dimensions!)

1. are the pump mounting holes etc. the same? can i just put my narrow pulleys on them.
    yes with mods/no--narrow pulleys might fit '49-51 truck pumps.
    or;
    2. could i switch the crank pulley to match the new pumps? one belt?
    the other switch that is happening is that i have an intake that is making me have to move my generator.
    You can use any flathead pulley '39-53 to fit matching pumps
    3. should i go to a one belt set-up?
    my front motor mounts are waiting on me to figure this out.
    thanks ahead for the input. You can--get '49 truck pumps, pulley.

3. GARY?

GARY?

sounds like switching the crank pulley and going with '49 truck water pumps and pulleys is the way to go/ would work.
    did i miss something? does this sound right ?
    thanks!!

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Sounds good to me...do check the flathead dimensions article.
    With truck pumps, a single belt will drive generator and pumps. The second sheave drives the fan separately.
    The '49 truck pumps give you early Ford mounting legs, but the pulleys are necessarily out farther than early flatheads to clear the distributor.

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

This is what I did. 49 truck pumps, truck crank pulley, truck fan and truck generator pulley. The fan itself is aftermarket bolted to the Ford hub. The offset generator mount that you use may determine which pulleys to use.

If the narrow belt is important to you, the 50-51 Merc.(not positive of the years) had narrow belts using 2 belts and the foot type of motor mount. BUT the foot is higher on the pump than the common truck pumps requiring a spacer between the pump mount and the rubber cusion in most cases.

6. GARY?

GARY?

thanks a heep !!