Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Banjo Rearend E-Brake Qustion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spooler41, Jun 12, 2012.

1. spooler41

spooler41

I've spent all morning searching for information about how to install/replace
    the E-brake cable before installing the rear brakes on my 27 Roadster.
    The rearend is a 40 Ford ,open drive,40 brakes. I've got a new cable with rubber boots ,return springs and crimped ends. What I need to pin down is how is the return spring locked into the guide tube coming out of the backing plate.
    Any drawings,Photos,or information would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.............Jack

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

A very thin piece of metal with a small hole in it and a split in one edge running to the hole. This piece slips over the cable after you compress the spring between the spring and end of the tube inside the backing plate.

3. oj

oj

I just ran a lokar cable/jacket from the guide tube of the backing plate and ran it to the radius rod (maybe 12" or less?) and welded a tube inside the radius rod and ran the emergancy cable inside of it.

4. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

The return spring goes thru the cable tube and hooks the e-brake rocker lever and butts up to the interior face of the cable tube. To prevent the spring from seating inside the cable tube there is a thin spring steel washer that prevents the spring from traveling into the tube.

Another poster had a good way to make that washer if you didnt have one. His suggestion was to use a piece of the spring steel used in pallet banding. Drill a 1/8" hole in the middle of a small section of strap and then with aviation snips cut a perpendicular slot to the hole so the washer can be slightly twisted to open and slipped over the cable to form a base for the tube end of the spring to seat, round the corners and install. Please note if you have a new cable you should check the spring length as some people have indicated that the return spring is too long and must have several wraps removed for the spring to function correctly.

5. spooler41

spooler41

Thank you, John and Dick. It's been a long time since I've had an old Ford that needed E-brake cables. You both confirmed what I dimly remember about them. There were no spring keepers with the new cable assem. that I got and yes the spring is way to long
    to install as is.

............Jack