Register now to get rid of these ads!

ford automatic question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JSM56, Jan 6, 2005.

1. JSM56

JSM56

i put a 5.0 and automatic out of an 80's merc cougar in my 56.
    the motor runs great, but the trans has me worried.
    i don't even know what trans it is.
    it has an intergrated bellhousing so not c4.
    also no mechanical kick down linkage.

the problem is it slips in high gear.
    if i put the gear selector in the second of the 3 forward positions, it runs fine.
    if i put in in the high gear, it works fine until it shifts to high, then slips.

is there some sort of electronic torque converter lock up, or is it just a bad transmossion?
    it has a 2 wire plug at the speed sensor, and a 4 wire plug at the side of the trans.

any ideas or help would be more than appreciated.

2. Sounds like you have an AOD. These transmissions are really picky about TV setting. You need to have the TV cable ("kickdown") hooked up and working. Was the engine originally injected, or carbureted? If youve changed carb setups, you'll need to make sure the kickdown arm on the carb has the same length of throw that the original setup had. If the TV cable isn't travelling the correct distance, at the correct time, the trans will do all kinds of funky things.....

3. JSM56

JSM56

the trans has no TV cable or linkage.
    i am guessing it must be electronic.
    its shifts fine, just no kick down, and high gear slips.
    i changed the throttle body injection to a carberator.
    but there was no TV linkage on the donor car, and no sign of extra arms or linkage on the trans.