Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford aod torque converter is stuck on transmission

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 61dailyf100, May 25, 2014.

1. 61dailyf100

61dailyf100

Does anyone know how to remove a stuck torque converter on an aod transmission ? I've tried moving it and it won't turn at all in either direction. It has absolutely no play,anything helps thanks.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Sounds like it may have spun the front pump bushing? What about bolting the flexplate on it for more leverage and prying area?

3. 61dailyf100

61dailyf100

I went to bolt it up to the engine and it was a little tight, then all of a sudden it popped and all the bolts were easy to tighten and everything lined up, but when I tried to start the motor it was stuck. So I dropped the trans and now I can't move the torque converter. But putting on the flex plate for leverage. I will let you know how that goes, also what's the worst case scenario as far as what I possibly messed up?

4. George

George

You've broke either the converter or the front pump. Installing you have to slid in, turn a bit to line things up, slide some more, repeat. Converter should sit in a bit & pull up to the flex plate. Should still pull strait out, see witch one broke.

5. 61dailyf100

61dailyf100

I tried pulling it and nothing, I even hooked up a slide hammer to one of the torque converter bolts and it won't budge, let alone turn.

6. George

George

I broke a converter doing that way back on an FMX, dicked up the converter not the pump & slid right off. No experience with breaking the pump on an AOD, but I'd guess that's it.

7. George

George

While your fixing it there's a constant pressure valve body by TCI that takes the "Gnats Ass adjustment" out of the situation though you still have to use the cable or rod depending on year.

8. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Your best bet is to fab up a strap out fairly heavy gauge metal and bolt it to opposite torque converter bolts, with one bolt in the center of the strap so you can put the slider hammer on it and pull from the center of the convertor. Chances are that pop you heard was the last set of splines being forced into a place they were never designed to be, and now everything is bound together, press fit style. Don't worry about getting too nasty with it, because the damage is already done, and you are most likely looking at a new convertor, and quite possibly a new pump.

9. FrozenMerc is on about things! pumps are easy to damage when forced and that gets spendy! bummer dude!

10. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Weld a nut that fits your slide hammer to the center stub of the torque converter and pound away.

11. 61dailyf100

61dailyf100

So this is what happened........the three different set of splines were lined up correctly but where I messed up was on the outer rim of the torque converter. On the outside you can see from the pic I forced it into place ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402345144.931212.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402345199.699289.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402345271.694975.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402345315.310617.jpg
    Now that set of splines I'm pointing at is no longer turning in any direction.

12. 61dailyf100

61dailyf100

You can see how the diameter of the torque converter has changed. Just wanted to post this so this mistake doesn't happen to anyone else. Hope this helps someone on a future install.

13. 61dailyf100

61dailyf100

Some might wonder how I got it out ... We'll I had an extra flex plate that I drilled a few bolts to and used it with a slide hammer to get it out. It took a while but it came out

14. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Thanks for posting the result. WOW!

15. stimpy

stimpy

so this is how you make a square peg from a round one ... Ouch expensive lesson .

16. IIRC, the splines you're pointing to are the stator support. And I'm thinking they're not supposed to turn, are they? :confused: Things may not be as badly bunged up as you think. :D

17. 61dailyf100

61dailyf100

So does this mean the front pump is still ok ?

18. Errrrrr.... It's kind of hard to tell over the internet, isn't it? o_O

If you can get your new converter seated properly into the pump drive gear and it turns smoothly and doesn't bind or make any "funny" noises, the pump is likely OK. But I'd still want to pull it apart and make sure you haven't left any metal debris behind in the pump. :mad:

Maybe have your friendly neighborhood transmission shop take a look at it for you if you're not sure. ;)

19. Diavolo

Diavolo

I agree, I think those stay stationary.

20. 61dailyf100

61dailyf100

Thanks everyone for the input it's greatly appreciated, this is my first time messing with auto transmissions and we'll sometimes you learn the hard way. I also called the company that sold it to me originally and they are going to replace it for me at no cost ! I was going to open it up but they told me not to because it voids warranty and they are just going to give me another one with core exchange instead. Talk about great customer service !!!!

21. Sweet! You should probably take them a box of donuts when you go to swap the stuff out. Good Karma! :cool:

22. 61dailyf100

61dailyf100

So I got another trans now and torque converter but this one I got is missing something. Does anyone know what goes here ? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1403396703.333618.jpg

23. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Nothing. That is the hole for the 3-4 accumulator. The early AOD transmissions had them installed, but Ford changed the throttle body sometime in the mid 80's and no longer needed the 3-4 accumulator. The 3-4 Accumulator would actually cause undue wear on the OD band as the OD shifts were often soft and took too long with it installed. The Ford engineers removed the accumulator and modified the valve body to make cleaner, crisper shifts. For some odd reason though, they kept machining the cases for the accumulator, maybe no one bothered to tell the supplier machining the cases.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  24. 61dailyf100

61dailyf100

Thanks frozenmerc, I googled it and a lot of people confirm what your saying. I had another 89 aod and it too was missing it but now I know why.

25. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ