Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 9" Trac Loc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38 Hump, Mar 9, 2012.

1. 38 Hump

38 Hump

Has anyone else ran into problems installing a Trac Loc carrier in a standard Ford diff case? Bought a new unit from Summit and 3.50 gears and it seems the carrier is just too big to fit the case. Called Summit tech line and got "we never heard of such a thing". The case is from a '69 Torino and had an open carrier with 3.90 gears. This thing has become a very expensive nightmare!

2. They came two ways large bearing and small bearing. This is not to be confused with axle bearings. if you have a small bearing case you will probably have a problem putting a large bearing carrier in it.

I am just guessing here. measure the OD of the bearings on your original carrier. Now measure the OD of the bearings on the carrier you are installing. If the bearings are the same size make sure that the bearings are seated all the way.

These are just things that have given me a headach over the years. maybe not you problem at all.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Don't get upset about this question.......but is it possible that you have an 8" case and not a 9" case........they look a lot alike......an a '69 Torino could have come with either.

Ray

4. The B case has 2 different bearing options for 31 spline 3.0625 and 2.891 But they both have a I.D. of 1.78" on the carrier bearing. You can switch the bearings around on the carrier.

If the carrier is just too big to fit, then id make sure that you have what you think you have. Sometimes things are boxed or labeled wrong, and sometimes rears are identified wrong.

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Here's some really good info differentiating the 9 in rear from the 8.
    http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm

6. Cerberus

Cerberus

Alot of 1969 Torinos came with sbf 302. If this is the case you probably have a 8" rearend.

7. 38 Hump

38 Hump

Got it together. Found out that even though you may have a case with the same casting number such as C7AW-E, The internal configuration can be different. After trying 3 different cases, I came across a case that internally had a deeper finish dimension than the 3 others. Also the bearing cap bosses were narrower allowing my new carrier more lateral adjustment which was just what I needed.
    Thank you all for your comments. I learned something new today and hopefully helped someone else in the mean time.
    Larry