Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford 9" question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racemad55, Mar 7, 2015.

1. racemad55

racemad55

Will backing plates & drums from a ford pickup fit on an early bronco rear (small bearing) Bronco plates seem to be like hens teeth. Thanks

2. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

small bearing is 2.00 x 3.25. My recollection was there are 2 big bearing styles but only 1 small bearing pattern. You can verify on Moser site

3. Small bearing backing plates fit small bearing rears and large bearing backing plates fit large bearing rears.

I should mention that trucks came both ways small or large bearing and if you scrounge you can even find the big brakes on small bearing rears.

4. 31Apickup

31Apickup

If it is a small bearing rear, you can use them off a Ford 8" rear.

5. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

Maverick, Granada, and similar used mostly 10X1.75 brakes on 8" rears which will bolt right up to a small bearing 9". They are 5x4.5 on the bolt pattern on the drums, though, so you can use the backing plates but you can't use the drums if you want the larger pattern.

6. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Many 8.8" rears also used the common small bearing pattern with 10" and 11" drums, like the "Panther" platform late '70s-up Lincoln Town Car/Crown Vic/Grand Marquis.

7. X2, look for 8-inch rear brakes, the bearing ends on 8-inch are same as 9-inch small bearing.

8. Off MOST 8". Ford made some odd ball 8" rears.

9. fordcpe

fordcpe

I had a 1971 ford pick up small bearing housing with the big 5 1/2" drums. It was an original 302 2 barrel automatic long box truck.