Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 9" Experts - Please Look Here!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beef Stew, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

I have an OT F-100 that currently has a 3.70 R&P and I recently acquired a 4.11 third member. The only problem is that this third member has a pinion yoke that I've never seen before. I guess you really wouldn't even consider it a yoke. It's more like a flanged input shaft thing.

My truck has a standard yoke on it now. My question is will the yoke on the truck swap over to the 4.11 third member? Is there a good chance that the diameters are the same? I really don't want to have to disassemble the current pinion to have to find out.

Anyone have a part number for the pinion seal?

Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

Yokes should interchange unless you got some weird spline set up on the "new" one.
    I know I have seen that yoke before and think it's one of those double u-joint 4x4.

3. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Beef, the yokes on all 9" rearends are interchangable.( same spline<28>, same as the 28 sp axle !) and same od....
    BUT....not all the seals are the same...yes,same id (cuz the yoke od is the same) but several different seal od's...( look for a # on the old seal )
    If you want to change to your old yoke (or a similar one ) you need to replace the crush sleeve.. It lives between the pinion bearings and are a one use item..
    Some of us old timers have been known to add a .060 shim and re-use the crush sleeve....I only do this in a pinch..
    Good luck
    Dave
    FYI, On the race units I use a solid spacer to replace the crush sleeve..It takes a little more work to set up the first time, but will not ever loose the crush setting.( also makes swapping the yoke a bolt on deal if you need to loan out or borrow a gear from your buddy !)

4. squirrel

squirrel

that pinion yoke seal looks to be the really large one....you can see it extending out a ways past the oil slinger.

That's a really early 3rd member!

5. Thats a 57 Ford pumpkin. thats the only place I've seen that flange.

Swapping them out might be an issue alot of trucks were 31 spline, that 57 should be 28.

6. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

Does the crush sleeve come off the pinion while the yoke is off or do I need to remove the entire pinion and retainer? Sorry for the dumb question but this is my first time doing this.

7. I would find out the if the axles will fit before you spend any time or money worrying about the front yoke.

But it is best to replace the crush sleeve if you have a new one.

Before you get all bummed out, the 50's Ford guys will pay a few bucks for that center section. So if it does not work, all is not lost.

8. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

From what I've read all '67-'72 F-100's came with 28 spline axles.

9. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

Yeah that's what the guy I got it from was thinking. Kind of weird putting a 52 year old third member into a 38 year old truck.

10. OK, you didn't say what year, until now.

If you want to know for sure, I can look it up in my Hollander book with the tag info from the truck.

11. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

I'm pretty confident that it has 28 spline axles. I really appreciate the help though.

I'm the kind of guy that likes to do shit once the right way. If I put this third member in I really want to make sure it's setup correctly.

I got this third member on an exchange. If it winds up not working I can always just give it back.

Any ideas on the pinion seal? After doing some more reading I think that the early pinion seals are a bitch to find.

12. Concours Parts has them 4-1/8 OD 57-58 rear $25
    Part# 4676-B

58 -62 3" OD B8A-4676-B 13.95.

The crush sleeves are $10.

Concoursparts.com
    800-722-0009

13. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

Awesome, thanks again! I'll pull the seal out soon and double check it.

14. Retrorod

Retrorod

You have to pull the pinion gear out to replace the crush sleeve......the old one will be glued on with years of munge. Play it safe....put some bearings on it while you have it apart.

15. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

I just sold a '68-'72 F100 rear with 31 spline axles. You might want to double check.

16. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

17. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

From what I understand the 9 3/8" third members have a rib that slopes down on the drivers side. The third member on my truck doesn't slope down.

18. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

There's a tag on the rear end. I'll double check it this weekend to see what it is.

19. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

That's the best answer. The rear that I had was a nodular case, it wasn't listed on the handy spec sheet either, but that's what I had.

20. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

Axle assembly identification number WDM-U: 9" R&P, 3.70:1, 28 spline, open.

21. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

I presume the shim goes up against the sleeve, yes?

If I replace the sleeve or use a shim am I technically "re-setting-up" the pinion assembly? Will I need to check/adjust the backlash? I'm really hoping to make this an easy on-off kinda deal. If I have to go through and do all this extra stuff I might as well buy the gears I really want (4.33's) and completely rebuild the whole third member.