Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford 8.8 Axle swap Pinon Angle Help Needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swaluda, Jun 8, 2015.

1. swaluda

swaluda
    from pa.

I swapped in a Ford 8.8 in from a Old Plymouth Axle. Ford guys are sayin keep the 8.8 nose up 6 degrees, which are Ford Specs. My Trans sits at 7 degrees down. I need to have a driveshaft made, I set a straight edge from the top of the tranny spline to the top of the pinon nut and it reads the driveshaft angle at 2 degrees /// Question is, could you do it like that and if so what would the final pinon angle setup be The Center of the Trans Spline is 14 and a half inches up from level ground and the center of pinon nut is 13 inches up from level ground, which puts the Trans a little higher than the pinon, need to get it right to order a Driveshaft, Thanks for any input, Stan

2. aaggie

aaggie

Place an angle finder on the pinion flange to get the pinion angle. There are several places to read the trans angle. Since it will be the same as the crankshaft centerline place the angle finder either vertically across the crank pulley, across the intake manifold mounting surface, oil pan rail or bell housing mounting on back of block.
    Now you have the correct angles. If the engine is where it will be then match the pinion to it. If the engine is 7# down rotate the pinion flange 7# up.
    Pretend you are up in the rafters of your garage and looking down at your chassis. It doesn't matter if the engine and trans are offset to one side as long as the centerline is parallel to the centerline of the pinion. This angle is way more important than up and down angle.

3. mountainman2

mountainman2

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What Ford guys are saying 6°?

3° is a bit more common.

Why is your transmission down at 7°?

Either way, both angles should compliment. If your leaf springs are soft, or this is a high torque application (or both), put the pinion down 1° from complimentary.