Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 39 Trans How-To Repair Book

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortyfordguy, May 22, 2006.

1. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

Many of you know that I have been repairing these early Ford 3 speed trannies for several years now. I have spent a good amount of time acquiring the needed parts, tools, and experience to do the job well. I have noted for some time that questions about the repairs and gear applications come up frequently on this and other forums. So, I had decided to sit down and write the How-To manual that answers so many questions that the other books, bulletins, etc do not fully do. The past weeks have been nearly given over to taking the photos and writing the tech story to make it a worthwhile effort. If it has my name on it, I wanted it to be well done.

I am coming down the home stretch and will be taking the files to some printers to get some quotations. I honestly have no idea how many of these I could sell, so I am throwing the project out here to get some feedback on interest. I will upload a sample page to our website. It will be with the other webpages on the "39 Trans Story", but I am also including a link here. It will be uploaded tonite.

There are over 140 specific photos showing various steps in the Tear-Down and the Assembly of the Ford three speed transmissions. I believe the good stuff (not including title pages, etc) will run to about 50+ pages. All photos will be black and white but the quality looks very good on what I have printed out for my own sample.

I can't quote any prices at this point, and I am not looking for order commitments from anyone. I would like to get some idea of interest so I can advise the printers what kind of volume to expect on a run.

If it's something you would like to possibly obtain, drop me an email at [email protected] just to let me know........... Mac VP

2. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

3. Looks good, count me as one.-MIKE:)

4. Mart

Mart

Looks great, Mac, please check your email.
    Mart.

5. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I'm interested too, check your email.....Larry

6. Muttley

Muttley

I'd buy one for sure.

7. junkmonger

junkmonger

I'll buy one as soon as it's ready!:D

8. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

I'll buy one, too !
    Michael

9. I would buy one!!! im need to rebuild mine.

10. Andy P

Andy P
    from UK

11. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

I'll take two!

12. burger

burger

not only would i take one, i'd pay for it!

13. tinmann

tinmann

I need one, possibly two.

14. alchemy

alchemy

15. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

i'd buy one
    zach

16. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

That's nice looking stuff, I'd buy one!

When I grow up, I wanna be a Bruce Lancaster.

-Dave

17. kornbinder

kornbinder
    from Sonora, CA

I could have used a reference like this years ago, damn. Count me in.

18. 392_hemi

392_hemi

I'll take one.

19. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i'll take one. i just got a 39 trans that needs some work. this will be perfect.

20. spudshaft

spudshaft

I'd like one too.

21. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Order for at least one from this address.

Frank

22. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I'll take two, one to hoard and one to get dirty...you're gonna be ahead of "DaVinci Code" around here, at least!

23. DelSolid

DelSolid

i'll take one

24. reece

reece
    from NC

I would like 2.

25. peanut

peanut

count me in!!! good work!!!!

26. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Spoons Will take 1.
    I'll see you at Springfield.....................

Spoons:D

27. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've been to the printers and we have estimated the price to be about $37 plus postage. Got my copyright paperwork today. It's going to come in around 65-70 pages with over 140 photos. The b&w images look real nice. I'll be finishing up the gear charts and final details over the next 5-6 days before turning it over to the printers. I will be on vacation from the 2nd thru the 11th, so I won't see any proofs until I get back. Provided everything looks ok, I will let everyone know when I am ready to take orders. So far I have about 100 requests and they are still coming in. Thanks for the interest. I'm anxious to get the project finished and into your hands......... Mac VP

PS: If anyone is coming to the Springfield, OH swap meet, I will be there and have a sample copy from my computer.

28. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

Just a last bump on this subject to let everyone know how the book is coming. I've spent the better part of the last 3 weeks finishing up the pics, details, and layout for the book. Just finished everything up today, except I have to take a photo for the cover page. The book came in at 62 pages and over 140 photographs. It basically covers the 32-50 toploaders and all the permutations of them. Price is going to be $35 apiece, plus shipping. I will hand the pc files off to the printer by Friday and should have the proof sample to look over when I get back from vacation on the 12th. I'm actually looking forward to getting away from this project for a week!

Guys, it looks good. I'm proud of how it has turned out. I've kept everyone's name to contact when I'm ready to take orders. If you havent spoken up, let me know. So far, there are over 150 requests and still coming....... Mac VP