Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 302 problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by galaxie65, Apr 17, 2010.

1. galaxie65

galaxie65

I just put a 302 out of a 71 torino that was running when i pulled it out and i put it in my model a and cant get it to start and run it back fires through the carb

I heard through the grapevine that a ford 302 at some time had 2 different firing orders and i cannot seem to find both of them if anyone has any info on anything that could help me please post

2. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Sounds like it's out of time, Did you mess with the distributor or wires?

Up to about 84 the order is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8.

3. galaxie65

galaxie65

well i put a brand new distributor in it and i know thats what it sounds like but i have pulled that distributor out and timed it 20 times

4. R Pope

R Pope

You mean 15426378. If it's had a 351 cam swap, it'll be 13726548.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Checking the firing order is job one with these engines. There is some confusion with the firing order. A 302 roller motor (5.0 HO) from the 1980's has the same firing order as a 351W, and I have seen that mess people up. The other thing to check is the distributor. It can be a pain sometimes to get that exactly right with these engines. It is easy to be off either a little or alot. The best one I saw was when a friend of a friend who was throwing together a mustang for his wife called me over. He was a die hard chevy guy and was having trouble getting the engine to fire. In conversation I went over what he had done, and it sounded like he had it handled, so WTF? I suggested that we swallow our pride and recheck number one. Low and behold Chevy guy was trying to set TDC off of number 5 -driver's front! I understand this is probably a rare instance, but he got in a hurry and did not stop to double check his facts. Probably not your situation but hopefully a little entertaining.

6. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

So which cylinder IS #1 on a roller 301?

7. George

George

Passenger front is #1 regardless of firing order.

8. Well you see the trick is to drink enough beer to get rid of that 1 cubic inch...LOL!

9. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

Be advised the #1 bank is 1234 and the other is 5678 not back and forth like other motors.
    Van

10. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

Sounds like the distributor is 180 out.

11. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Yep 99% of the time popping back through the carburetor is timing related and with new distributor most of the time 180 out.

12. galaxie65

galaxie65

Thank you everyone for your help

I worked on the car all day yesterday trying a few different things and i tried the
    1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 firing order and the car fired right up I am not sure why because i ran the casting numbers and the motor is a 71 torino 302 motor

so i thank you again and wish the best of luck to anyone else working on fords mystery motors

13. sdluck

sdluck

Cam may have been changed

14. RedRodder

RedRodder

more than likely, the windsor order was supposedly done to ballance ot stress on the crank, I've converted a few motors and can't tell the difference