Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical FORD 302 4R70W ENGINE AND TRANS HELP AND QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blake84, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Blake84

Blake84

I GOT A 302 AND A 4R70W OUT OF WHAT LOOKS LIKE AN F150 FOR BASICALLY FREE TODAY.

MY QUESTION. ARE ALL 302 ENGINES THE SAME. IF I BREAK THIS DOWN AND HAVE THE BLOCK REBUILT CAN I JUST ORDER ANY PARTS FOR A 302 AND IT WILL WORK? IT LOOKS LIKE IT WAS POSSIBLY A WEIRD STYLE FUEL INJECTION CAN I JUST THROW A HOLLEY CARB ON IT AND CALL IT A DAY? IT HAS SO MANY PULLYS FOR AC, POWER STEERING AND WHO KNOWS WHAT ELSE....CAN THAT ALL BE REMOVED AND BROKEN DOWN TO A BASIC 302 BLOCK.

ARE THERE BENEFITS TO GOING WITH A 302 FROM ASSUMING 80'S OR EARLY 90S?

REGARDING THE 4R70W TRANS.....HAS ANYONE USED ONE OF THESE? DO THEY NEED TO BE HOOKED UP TO A COMPUTER SYSTEM OR CAN YOU USE THEM LIKE A C4 AND JUST HOOK UP A LOKAR SHIFTING KIT AND GO.

ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

THANK YOU

BLAKE

2. You have to have a computer to control the 4R70W. A 302 and a 5.0 are basically the same. You would need a distributor, manifold, Carb. Proper pulleys (Water pump is probably reverse rotation), and an electric fuel pump (No provision for manual). It will be a roller cam motor so it is more desirable

Now turn off you caps and quit yelling at us!

3. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Does it have the throttle body fuel injection or the newer plenum type?

4. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

WHAT YEAR 302? THERE, I'M DONE YELLING NOW!

302s are mainly the same, but the stuff that gets bolted to them has changed a lot over the years. What I mean is that if you strip them down, they all look and act the same, with some minor differences. Heads and manifolds will all bolt up, but valvetrains changed over the years. If you're talking 80s-90s then you're in luck if you get a roller cam block.

5. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

What they all said.
    My trans guy put the guts from a 4r70 into my aod. non computer controlled now but has the shift pattern and it supposed to hold up better. don't know a clue about how he did it, works great for me now though

6. aaggie

aaggie

My experience with SBFs, especially 302s is it can be a nightmare getting the correct pulley system. If you find an early engine that has the factory stuff still on it then use it all. Things like timing covers and camshafts change frequently and for no good reason. Even the firing order is different from year to year.

7. finn

finn

The small block Ford engine was in production about twice as long as the venerable flathead, and there were fewer changes to the basic engine and accessory drive than the flathead ever had, especially considering how complex cars became over the SBF production run time period and the variety of vehicles the SBF was installed in.

There were only two SBF firing order configurations, the original and the HO, which was shared with the 351 Windsor. Is that difficult?

I seem to recall that the sacred SBC is configured with "long" and "short" water pump front ends, too.

8. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Make sure your flexplate and balancer match when commingling SBF parts. They come in 2 varieties: 28oz and 50oz. Also, your roller motor does not have a provision for a mechanical fuel pump, which isn't an issue if you plan on running an electric pump.

9. If your motor is a roller cam version (and you keep the roller cam), you'll need a roller cam distributor gear if you change distributors to a non-computer-control version. The flat tappet motors used a cast iron gear, the rollers a steel gear. Mixing these will result in the cam and gear destroying each other; the gears are available separately from multiple sources. You'll need to check the distributor shaft diameter as Ford used two sizes. If you buy an aftermarket distributor, ask about this to make sure you get one with the right gear to match your camshaft.