Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Ford 300 I six miniature working engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gbritnell, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

subscribed! amazing work,cant wait to hear it run.

2. A fellow had some scale engines at the hill climb in Georgetown. He had a little hemi and it sounded like a dragster staging up when he fired it up. This is way cool stuff especially a 300 six.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Outstanding.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

4. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Very impressive you my fiend will never be bored.

5. BashingTin

BashingTin

WOW! Beautiful work!

6. mtphammer

mtphammer
    from Fresno

Now if we could just have machine a cross flow head for the real deal and we'd be set!

Brute strength and ignorance can overcome any mechanical problem. (not)

7. gbritnell

gbritnell

I've been away from the shop for about a month, medical restriction. Anyway I got back Saturday and started on the next part of the project, spark plugs.
    These are some of the smallest plugs I've ever made, 8-36 thread, overall length about 1.00. Corian for the insulator. The plug is machined and threaded on the lathe for concentricity. The hex is machined on the mill and then the pocket for the insulator is counterbored. The pug is then mounted in another fixture to cut away all the extra stock at the ground strap. One strap is filed off and the other is heated and bent. The insulators are inserted and using a crimping fixture the flange is formed over the boss on the plugs. The center electrodes (.031 dia.) are cut to length and the wire cap soldered in place. These are then inserted with high temp Loctite. I made 10 bases and insulators in case of mishap and ended up with 8 good plugs.
    gbritnell

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. aircap

aircap

You da frickin man!

9. Just awesome!! buitiful work!!

10. RFH1931

RFH1931

Awesome,
    Very nice detail work

11. gbritnell

gbritnell

I had some time off for medical reasons but I got back on the engine a couple of weeks ago. I got the carb and air filter housing made. I also made some motor mounts. The engine is just about done as far as parts go so shortly it will be disassembled for some final machining and then put back together for operation. I'm looking at about the end of March.
    I'll keep you informed.
    gbritnell
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Bill in Al

Bill in Al

Just beautiful,thanks for including us.

13. aircap

aircap

Should be awesome!

14. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

you sir, are a true craftsman. I am awed & humbled in everyway. Thank you.

15. gbritnell

gbritnell

Gentlemen,
    The engine is finished. All that's left to do is see how it runs. The big plans were for tomorrow but mother nature is up to her old tricks in northern Ohio, snow and cold temperatures, so the first fire up will have to be later in the week.
    I was away for almost a month helping my brother-in-law finish up some hot rod Ford 8N tractors so I have been working feverishly trying to get the engine completed for the big model engineering show in the Detroit area at the end of the month.
    The engine had to come apart for some internal machining additions along with a few holes that needed drilled and tapped. The biggest job was moving the dipstick boss. The original location caused interference with the stick and one of the crank counterweights. The area had to be machined out, a patch made and fitted and then machining of the new boss. All went well so the engine was cleaned and reassembled, plug wires were made up and the timing was set at about 18 degrees for the first fire up.
    When it runs I'll post a video. In the mean time here's some pictures of the finished engine.
    gbritnell

Attached Files:

16. mtphammer

mtphammer
    from Fresno

It looks amazing! Can't wait to see it run! Great work!

Brute strength and ignorance can overcome any mechanical problem.

17. aircap

aircap

You are one awesome possum, buddy!

18. gbritnell

gbritnell

Gentlemen,
    The engine is running. This is only the second fire-up so there's a little fine tuning to do yet but it's close.

gbritnell

19. 41 mopar

41 mopar

That's amazing. WOW ! Thank you for sharing this

20. that is something else!!! is it just me or does it look like you have a spark jumping at number 1 plug?

21. gbritnell

gbritnell

That wasn't a spark jumping that was the plug leaking. If you look real close you'll see the bubbles. I have since made soft copper washers which took care of the problem.

22. loudbang

loudbang

Very outstanding work well done. Curious with them that small can you still "read" the plugs for mixture conditions?

23. gbritnell

gbritnell

Not really. The plugs don't get hot enough in the short time that they run to even clean up. The plugs like to run on the fat side, even the commercial ones.
    Carb tuning is somewhat like doing a small engine (lawnmower etc) adjust both ways from optimal then slightly back to the rich side.