Register now to get rid of these ads!

FORD 289 with 8 WEBERS "Streetable"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CENTURION, Jul 11, 2009.

1. CENTURION

CENTURION
    from SEATTLE

If I may ask:

Would the FORD 289 with 4 two barrel WEBERS be "Streetable"?

How would the cold start properties be?

How would it idle?

Would the performance by more or less than a 2x4 Cobra set up on a K code engine?

How would Fuel Consumption be compared to a 2X4?

Did 60's Shelby ever offer the Weber set up for the FE FORD Big Block?

Please input. Thank You again.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  2. Is it possible you mean with 4 webers ?

3. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I think 2x4 would be a lot more affordable and will run just as good on the street . On a road race track , that's a different story !
    Is your "K" stock or did you cam it up some more ?

4. CENTURION

CENTURION
    from SEATTLE

Yes! I meant 4 Webers = 8 barrel. Thank You

5. not only yes, but hell yeah it will be streetable. Just not cheap.

Get some literature on how to tune them as well as the tools you need. You will spend a bit of time learning how but once your done, Weber's will blow you away.

6. CENTURION

CENTURION
    from SEATTLE

HAMBers, I am at work now so pardon my Haste. THANK YOU so much for the input!

Are the WEBER carbs offered with manual choke? Did the 60's original 289 Webers have Choke?

7. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I did see a real nice set-up at the "All Ford Nationals " in Carsile , Pa. last year . I don't remember the companies name but they were super nice and weren't really that bad for the entire set up . They had it on a small block Ford . It was a fuel injection set up . Wish I could remember the name of the place . The whole set up was around $5000 , that was intake up . Still a lot of bills to me !

What have you done to you 289 or is it still a stock "K" ? I am building one and just got the heads for the engine .

8. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

I've run a lot of those downdraft Weber carbs on O/T vehicles. No choke and none really needed. They are a great carburetor. I've run both the IDF and IDA series of them.

9. SLCHC-CHIEF

SLCHC-CHIEF
    from S.L.U.T

any pics of this kind of a set up?

10. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

My buddy Slick has them on his '34 coupe for over 20 years with no problems at all...Drives it anywhere...
    \
    [​IMG]

11. oj

oj

Check with Rousch, i think they offer them.

12. Some Weber carbs have an enrichment circuit that does the same thing as a choke without restricting airflow. You really won't need it.

13. There's a guy that runs around here with a V12 Jaguar thats got 6 Webers sticking through the hood. Must be streetable cuz I've seen it quite a few times.

I had a pair of webers on my VW sand rail and loved 'em.

They definitly have the "cool factor". I think you'd see more of them on the street if cost wasn't a factor.
    [​IMG]

14. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

15. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

webers are cool:D My dad used to race a ford 300 inline six in a falcon and ran 11.02 back in 70..he gave up the car ,the racing..and gave me the engines.. if I could fit that six in my shoebox with out cutting the firewall..beleive me I'd stick those webers on it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]:cool:

16. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

i don't have their catalog in front of me right now , but cobra automotive offers the complete setup for small blocks and fe's i believe ! mooneyes also caries them !

17. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Enjoy all the price increases since 1964!!------------Don:D:D

18. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Checkout the old prices!!!----------Don:D:D

19. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad to show all the prices back then!!-------------Don:D:D

20. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

21. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

22. NoPaint

NoPaint

I run two 3barrel webers on a 2.0 liter flat six and it runs spectacular. The cold start works but takes more attempts than a simple electric choke or even a manual choke. I would look at doing 8 single barrels if you are going to build your own intake manifold.

23. Check out some of the GT-40 sites for info on running webers. I was looking into putting them on a 354 hemi. Too expensive for me, but they flow a ton and stay tuned well...once you get them tuned properly. If you can afford it, they'd definitely be worth it.

24. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

I just need the damn intake for a 289/302..anyone got one at the 1960s prices?..

25. Inglese system complete $3495.00 with 44s
    3X what they were in 65.

26. bryan6902

bryan6902

I have a friend who has an 8 Weber set-up for a small Ford. Talking with him he said the key is to get the correct cam, not just some random Jegs/Summit/off-the-shelf grind. He said they run $330-$350 but are totally worth it. Can't remember who sells them but can get the info from him if anyone is really interested, pm me if you want me to look into it.

27. Fiddytree

Fiddytree
    from Durango

IMO, the cam has more to do with streetable than carbs. This one wasn't.
    [​IMG]

28. CENTURION

CENTURION
    from SEATTLE

Thank you for all the vital input.

I invested is some Weber tech manuals. I found a vintage 1963 factory FORD 289 Weber intake for the 48 IDA carbs. It may be the 44 IDF is the more streetable carb however may NOT fit this intake.

29. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Queenstown Mighty Mo, 65-66ish, the local Ford fanatic drove a 65 Mustang with Webers on it. It's the only one I ever remember seeing on the street. It was a big buck setup back then too. I don't recall it being a top dog on the street racing circuit but it did get a lot of oohs and aahs in that time period. It ran good as I recall just no good enough to overcome the larger V8s that were flooding the scene at the same time.