Register now to get rid of these ads!

FORD 289 K code HIPO concerns

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CENTURION, Oct 9, 2008.

1. CENTURION

CENTURION
    from SEATTLE

Hello:

Was the metal composition different in the 1960's 289 HIPO engine blocks than standard production 289 blocks?

Was the main cap webbing area wider on 289 HIPO blocks than standard 289 blocks or simply just the main caps were thicker?

What is the maximum bore a 289 block can go over in terms of decimal values?

Can a 289 Block perhaps using Milodon be 4 bolt main converted? If so, Cross Bolted by chance?

Thank You Kindly.

Note: As a HAMB registered subscriber is it possible to remain logged on this site longer than 5 mintues? If so, how? I find myself having to re-logg on contstantly.

2. slepe67

slepe67

I thought the blocks were all the same, just different heads, chrome, etc...go here and sniff around....http://sbftech.com/

3. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

the hipo heads had screw in studs, & the hipo motors had a better crank !high winding little motors !

4. tjm73

tjm73

.030" maybe .040" max overbore on 289 blocks.

5. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

6. tjm73

tjm73

If you have an acutal K-code 289 it may be quite valuable if it's complete. If you are looking to make big power and turn big rpm you can build a better, more powerful engine with newer parts that will all but completely indisinguishable from a K-Code to 99% of the peopel that look at it.

7. FrankBoss

FrankBoss

Alot of the Mexican blocks had larger main caps and in some swaps meets are miss represented as K code or Hi Po 289 blocks.
    the Mexican blocks are higher levels of Zinc in there casting. Making the casting harder from what I'm told.

I can't contest the same for the real K code block.

FrankBoss

8. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

yes these motors are quite valuable among the mustang & fairlane hipo crowd ,unless you can pick it up cheap enough i agree u could build a much better 289-302 with newer parts & like tmj37 said unless its in an actual hipo car most people wont know the difference, not trying to discourage you, i know what these motors bring big money though !

9. Judd

Judd

I'm not sure about metal but the main caps are thicker than regular 289 more like 68 302 block. They had forged crank with extra balancer piece behind the oil slinger and thicker harmonic balancer. The heads had screw in studs with guide plates and smaller cc chambers 10.5 to1 compression. Hipo had better rods and bolts.

Hello:

Was the metal composition different in the 1960's 289 HIPO engine blocks than standard production 289 blocks?

Was the main cap webbing area wider on 289 HIPO blocks than standard 289 blocks or simply just the main caps were thicker?

What is the maximum bore a 289 block can go over in terms of decimal values?

Can a 289 Block perhaps using Milodon be 4 bolt main converted? If so, Cross Bolted by chance?

Thank You Kindly.

Note: As a HAMB registered subscriber is it possible to remain logged on this site longer than 5 mintues? If so, how? I find myself having to re-logg on contstantly.[/QUOTE]

10. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

i dont believe these heads were any different from stock 289 besides the screw in studs anc cast spring cups, same combustion chamber also no guideplates just closer tollerances for the pushrods

11. Kramer

Kramer

I have never had a problem with staying logged on, or having to log back on. I stay on all day sometimes.

You might try asking this in the 'Question and Suggestion' section.

12. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I'm not positive, but I think the K code heads used a smaller combustion chamber to increase compression. Ports and valve sizes are the same as the lesser motors. Neither are much in comparison to what is available for really reasonable money today. Those motors are best left to the restorers that are certain every car was at its peak just as it left the factory.

13. Blocks are of the same content, Main webs in block are the same but the caps are wider on the hi-po's, if your going to make big HP I'd stay at .040, Can't convert as ther is no place to bolt or cross bolt to. As far as the heads go there will be a 19, 20, or a 21 cast in the head right next to the valve cover rail at the front left corner of the hi-po's, valve springs sit in a pocket, they have screw in studs. and the exhaust ports are of a much better shape. These engines are very pricey to buy and seem like they end up in collector cars. We see a price tag of $1500.00 on the blocks alone >>>>.

14. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

That's correct, and after '66 they had the same push rod holes as a regular head, still with adjustable screw in studs. The blocks are pretty much the same deal, nothing spectacular. They were supposed to have nodular main caps, but that's like hen's teeth from what I've seen around. I would imagine how hard that would be to line bore. They did revise the main caps to a beefier piece and it was carried over to the 302 in '68, but the plain vanilla ones got it too because I had a '68 289 2V engine with them.

The 289 hi po really wasn't that special. I love my Fords, but a 283 Chevy II would beat it like a rented mule. In the '70's they lengthened the bores down past the bulk head for more skirt support. These blocks make a better foundation in my opinion,but after 450 -500 hp all bets are off, a World block is needed.

15. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

You make a good point. I think the numbers and dates are what they are most significant for, if its a K code Mustang it needs a K code engine. But I sure wouldn't throw the money at one for anything else but to complete a restoration.

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

To stay logged...check the box close to the login lines.

17. HotRod33

HotRod33

They make a set of 4 bolt splayed caps that can be put on any 289 or 302 block. the cap bolts on and then the two new holes are drilled and then the caps need to be line bored, They are not cross bolted but splayed out at an angle to the sides. I have seen them on ebay for 100 dollars If you have a real 289 hipo you are lucky.

18. Drive Em

Drive Em

Alex Denysenko from "Moneymaker Racing" routinely bores 289's and 302's out to .070" over for his record holding NHRA Super Stock Mustangs. I believe he is running in the low 10's.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  19. CENTURION

CENTURION
    from SEATTLE

Thank you for all the valuable input.

As you know 427 FE is plan A for my 1965 Comet build however recently found out the following 427 FE fittment issues:

427 FE may require engine set back if single transverse straight axle is used.

Bellhousing to Firewall arc may result in clearance issues.

I recently found a 1965 Mercury Comet 289 block however seller has no idea what the current bore size is and block structual status.

I forgot to mention in my original post that in a ll these years I have never seen a 4:71 and 6:71 Blower mounted on 289. It appaers the front mounted distributor is an issue. Please comment.

Very important = Will a dual parallel straight axle specifically a tube with say a 2 inch drop actually allow for less Engine interferance than transverse single leaf?

Thank You again!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  20. $$$$$$ Ahh Yes as I have 2 of them in the original cars!!! I just can't talk about them here !! >>>>.

21. Oh yeah the original K-code engines most generally had the VIN # stamped on the lower right front corner of the block in the rough >>>>.

22. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

i have seen some 6:71 blower setups on small blocks before , they do exist but expect to pay some cash !

23. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

I forgot to mention in my original post that in a ll these years I have never seen a 4:71 and 6:71 Blower mounted on 289. It appaers the front mounted distributor is an issue. Please comment.

YEP seen quite a few.
    Buddy of mine had one on a 289 in a 67 mustang.
    Also the combustion chambers on the HIPO ar 54cc.
    If your wanting to push more than 500 hp....I would go to a sportsman block. Cross webbing on the lifter valley will save you the crying when that baby splits.

24. Judd

Judd

Both my 66 and a freinds 65 271hp Mustangs came with guide plates. Both were bought used in 69/70 but I dought both had plates added?

25. uncle buck

uncle buck

yes, but not practical for street use. Cylinder walls get thin and overheating becomes an issue