Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford 223 Oil Tube

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ShawninCO, Nov 24, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ShawninCO

ShawninCO
    from Colorado

Hello All

I finally have some time and a little money set aside to rebuild the 223 in my '55. I believe it's the original engine and it ran well before I pulled it and would like to keep it original. It just had low compression (rings).

I'm having trouble removing the rear oil tube. The front came out with no issues. As I understand it, the rear is simply held into place with an O ring.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1395839-1957-223-motor-crimped-front-oil-line.html

I cannot pull that line out and am concerned about damaging it. I understand they're hard to come by. Does anyone have any tricks to getting these out without crimping them?

Thank you

2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Had a '53 Ford with the 215cid version of that engine, bought in'59 and beat on it till I wrapped it around a tree in'63 or so. But I never had to tear it down, it was a tough engine ! So I dunno about that oil tube
    But at least I can bump this back to the top.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

ShawninCO: Don't know why , but I didn't think about John Mullen, whose Avatar is the same as his name, who runs a B'ville truck with a 262 cid version of the same engine. He lives in Lanexa,VA and is a helluva nice guy.
    Send him a PM or as they're called now, a Conversation, and maybe he can help you with some info.
    Today is Thanksgiving, and he may be out and about, dunno. But if you don't get in touch wih him thru PM in a few days then send me a PM and include your contact info, and I'll contact John and pass along the info for you.

5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

ShawninCo -you have a "conversation" from me with John Mullen 's phone number in it.

6. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

I had the same problem with a spare engine I bought but it was the front that was stuck in the thick black baked on oil
    , I removed the cylinder head with the pipe still attached then soaked it from the underside with penetrating oil then carefully scraped away the crud with a thin screwdriver /more oil and gentle tapping until it came free
    I have never seen an engine as dirty as that inside , must have been the grade of oil used and lack of changes , the bores were in great condition as was everything else

7. ShawninCO

ShawninCO
    from Colorado

Thank you for the replies. I was finally able to pull it using a brake line crimping tool to clamp down on the tube and then use that as a pry point.

town sedan likes this.