Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 144, 170, 200 Six Cylinder- Same Exhaust Manifold?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by warbozz, Aug 3, 2006.

1. warbozz

warbozz

My '64 Falcon with a 170 c.i. six has a cracked exhaust manifold, and I'm looking for a replacement. Anyone around here know if they will interchange on all the 'small six' Fords or are they specific? It's the last thing I need to get my Missouri safety inspection passed. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

2. Powerband

Powerband

Take a spin over to Ford Six Performance, those guys eat, drink and shit Ford sixes.
    http://fordsix.com/forum/

Meanwhile I'll show you mine if you show me yours :D

The top is a C9xx (1969) "flattop: from a 170 , the middle is a C0xx from an early 1961 (note the small runners and flat gasket instead of donut, and the bottom is a D7xx (1977) from a 250 (note the big EGR bung). The late 60's are preferred for biggest runner's and outlet size, beefier casting and no smog stuff but all will interchange.

Your '64 should have one similar to the '61 but with a donut gasket but check the casting number 'cause these things get switched around with engines a lot.

[​IMG]

I got a few because there are aftermarket headers readily available if you're inclined that will fit easily:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Powerband :cool:

3. guiseart

guiseart

Looks to me like they all interchange... later models ('63-later) have a larger 2" outlet... if your gonna change, might as well be for the better.

Hooker and clifford performance also make headers for them buggers... flip some bucks and gain 10-20 hp?

4. There's also an exhaust manifold made in Argentina that's beefier so it shouldn't break. I think they're relatively inexpensive.

Thanks,
    Kurt

5. warbozz

warbozz

I registered for the Fordsix forum earlier, but haven't gotten the confirmation e-mail yet. Mine looks a bit on the whimpy side, I'll give a good look at the casting number when the sun comes up. I put a whole new exhaust from the manifold to tailpipe on it last month, so I'm not going to go the header route YET. :cool:

6. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

Powerband, I'm a closet small-6 fan, always wanted to put a decent intake manifold on one. Who makes the one in the picture? Also, if you are going to do something like that, why wouldn't you go sidedraft?

7. warbozz

warbozz

I checked my manifold casting number, and it's a 'C2', so it's definitely not the original- the intake is a 'C3' number. If anyone feels like parting with a '65-'68 unit in nice shape I'll work out a deal for cash or polishing or something. As an alternative does anyone know of a source for the Argentinian manifolds that are still being made?

8. go to fordsixparts.com

new aluminum heads, new 6-2 headers, new MSD ignition, etc. Mike has produced more for the six in the last 2 years than anyone has in the last 20.

Once you get to fordsix.com, you'll have your pic of used parts. Everyone has extra stuff cause the V8 guys pratically give the stuff away. Also, there many international guys on there so they can answer your questions about the Aussie and Argie heads.
    With the new aluminum head just introduced though, it's the way to go. The flow numbers are plain crazy. Guys are already at 300 & 400 hp (many turbo applications) and that's without this new head. I'm anxious to hear some hp numbers once people start bolting it on.

9. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

I'm about to replace mine, and am worried about breaking a bolt off in the head. I have been spraying pen oil on all of them once a week for about a month now. Would you guys recomend I put the torch to them as well before I yank them out? I really DO NOT WANT to pull the head due to a few broken bolts.

10. haring

haring

Jim Dottling (AKA Thunderbird Connection) used to be the exclusive supplier of the Argentina exhaust manifold. Try giving them a call.

I bought one a long time ago and have never put together the new engine. I started grinding and smoothing mine. It is really beefy. It has a 2" out but I converted my exhaust to 2" long ago. I think I paid $100, but that was at least 5 years ago, probably more.

You can pull used manifolds all day and if they aren't already cracked, they soon will.

http://www.thunderbirdconn.com/summary-results.cfm?Model_Name=Falcon&PartGroup=Exhaust

11. It sounds like you're worried about it, so yeah. Heat around the holes, not the bolts.

Thanks,
    Kurt

12. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

If you need a "pass" for the "Mo" issue. PM me and I may know someone. AKA: Hotrodder.

Chris