Register now to get rid of these ads!

History For the man who wants more-$100,000 Matchbox collection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by toml24, Mar 3, 2018.

1. toml24

toml24

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. I can think of many ways to spend a 100 grand,matchbox cars is not one of them. HRP

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

While this is true. I shiver to think how much money I've spent buying diecast cars and planes and other collectibles one at a time?

HunterYJ, rc57, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  4. fuzzface

fuzzface

He is selling off his collection in pieces in the near future. Be interesting to see how close he gets to that when he starts breaking it up into smaller lots.

5. Some of those sets hold more value than some people's project cars. Even some single cars. That seller would help everyone out by having better pictures and maybe a list.
    You also have to remember some of threading you are here is because you may have played with these when you were little.
    But yeah it's a bit like the guy with the junkyard trying to sell it all without working hard to organize it.

6. Toys you don't play with.
    What's next, cars you don't drive?*

*Yea, I know. That's being done too.

7. fuzzface

fuzzface

Take it back, he already is selling of pieces, some are getting good price tags.

8. Where would I put them? Picture 5030.jpg Picture 7376.jpg

jazz1, chevy54man, LOU WELLS and 4 others like this.
  9. wvenfield

wvenfield

I know of a guy that spent upper 5 figures for a single Hot Wheels car.

If this guy spent 20 years spending $50k for a collection and then gets 100k out of it, it doesn't seem so bad....

49ratfink and stillrunners like this.
  10. fuzzface

fuzzface

Anyone seen the pawn star show where they had the toy guy come in and see if they could give another guy a $20,000 loan and used his matchbox collection as collateral? He said no problem that it was worth like double ,triple or even more and that was just a fraction of what this guy has.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  11. When I was a kid a match box was near the stove with matches in it,my cars consist of blocks of wood with Coca Cola lids for wheels.

I always liked the vintage Buddy L's and my pal Rene' was a huge collector and I have seen him pay stupid money for some of them,I guess anything is worth what a individual is willing to pay. HRP

LOU WELLS likes this.
  12. dan31

dan31

When I see collections of things that I personally don't hold much value on I think to myself ,he made that money so he can spend it any way he wants ,it's all fine and dandy when times are good but when the next recession [ and there is always a next recession ] it will become a grand monument to stupidity.

13. 5window

5window

He should sell it now. His kids probably don't appreciate it and the coming generations won't want it. The value is now and it is probably already past the peak. As it usually is.

dan31 likes this.
  14. evintho

evintho

I was a Hot Wheels collector in the early '90s back when I had more money than sense! Spent a good $10k and was featured in the Hot Wheels newsletter. I sold off the entire collection about 10 years ago. Got about $2k for the mint redlines and $1200 for everything else. Redlines went fast but buyers weren't beating a path to my door for the majority of the collection. It was in the middle of the recession though. Collecting was fun but financially it was a bust. Lesson learned!

15. 31Dodger likes this.
  16. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stogy and 31Dodger like this.
  17. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Different folk collect different things . I spent a lot of money with my kids getting the right hot wheels for their set.Getting up early to hit wally world.going to shows.Don't know how much i spent, but it was worth every dang cent of it.Yesterday was my B Day. We all got together. Kids still talk about the excursions /finds of hot wheels. Kids are now 33/28.I'd do it again.If either has a grandson...IT'S ON!!

B Bay Barn, HunterYJ and 5window like this.
  18. toml24

toml24

If this guy has a Matchbox 1968 Green Mercury Cougar (#62) and a 1968 green Mercury station wagon I certainly would like to get them. Neither car is of exceptional historical significance but I had them both and would like to re-acquire them both.

19. isn't the fun in collecting, finding and collecting? i guess it is like buying a finished car?

20. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Those were the fist things I bought when I got my first computer and found Ebay,then it progressed to larger items. I replaced all the ones I destroyed or lost and then the ones I did not have but wanted.

21. yep have many among my first bought...and heck HRP posted twice.....he really does care !

Stogy and 5window like this.
  22. 5window

5window

I'd have to put that in the More Money Than Brains Club, put once you have started a collection it can become an addiction.

23. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

A few days ago, I mentioned in a thread about my Mother's old steamer trunks, and what she kept in them. I forgot, but she also had Match Box Cars/Trucks in little yellow boxes; she'd never let me and my younger brother play with them when we were little kids. She had answered an ad on Craig's List from a guy looking to buy Match Box Toys. She had roughly 30 of them, and a couple duplicates in the bunch. I called the guy for her as she was about 85, and we set up a time when I could be at her house. She had them "displayed" on the kitchen table in a semi-circle. The guy walks into the kitchen, and just stopped, eyes focused on the display. Mom whispered to me she wanted $35.00 for them; I told her to wait and see what he offered. He starts adding things up on his cell phone, looks at Mom, and asks sheepishly if she'd be willing to take $800.00 for them. Before I could tell her to "deal a little higher", she says "SOLD!!!". Guy was happy as a clam, and could't wait to add them to his collection, and tell all his friends about them. This was about 13 years ago; I think she could have gotten at least a grand from him. I think he really was a collector, and not a dealer. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

low budget and Stogy like this.
  24. toml24

toml24

Many decades ago I had about 20 Matchbox, 20 Hot Wheels with hundreds of feet of yellow track, Eldon slot cars, Tudor Electric Football, and various other "toys", all from the 1960's. One day I told my mom to take it all to the church. It had to be a 100% cold turkey release of an emotional attachment. I really don't regret my decision to "grow up" but now I find I want all that stuff back, not to play with, but to display, to remind me of my youth.

25. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I had Match Box along with Hot wheels cars growing up but the Match boxes were always kind of the generic Hot Wheel, and then there was the bottom of the line, almost different category tootsie toy type cars I had, maybe for younger kids that you could get a bag of at the dollar store that no one wanted compared to the awesome Hot wheels.
    But guess what I have a small collection of now:D
    upload_2018-3-4_8-24-25.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    tb33anda3rd likes this.
  26. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I did pretty much the same thing 40 years ago when I got married and moved out on my own, except I gave all my Hot Wheels stuff and my 1/24 models to my first cousin. I think he may still have some of them, he was always into HO trains, too.

I bought some when my boys were small, one still shows up every now and then where they lost them in the house or yard. I bought some of a OT car I had to display with it, traded the car, kept the Hot Wheels......when my Grandson came along, I started buying them again for him this time.

They are good to remind one of their youth, unless you start getting too many and they become an obsession. I'll always have a few scattered around the house, just for the memories.

27. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Back in the early 90s I started collecting Hotwheels again and tried to get every one they made but was running out of room so my girlfriend at the time had 3 young boys so they got all the goofy ones that I did not want. I now want to get rid of them but will have to settle for about 30 cents on the dollar if I sell them to a dealer,I would like to take the money from them and buy the older Matchbox gray wheels and other old diecast vehicles from the 50s and 60s.

28. jazz1

jazz1

I always preferred larger scale toys although Matchbox did have a likely the largest selection. Local store had kids buying a new car weekly from their display cabinet. I was not among them.... 2013-02-22 20.16.29.jpg

49ratfink likes this.
  29. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

For the 40 year old man that lives w mom and has never gotten laid

30. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I don't bother with late model stuff.... these are mostly pre war
    IMG_6271.JPG IMG_6272.JPG IMG_6273.JPG IMG_6274.JPG IMG_6275.JPG

jazz1, low budget and 302GMC like this.