Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects ? for 26-27 T coupe guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48stude, Dec 31, 2020.

1. 48stude

48stude

I've removed the bolts from both flanges connecting the lower panel to the quarters and the panel is still solid . Is there spot welds along the top and bottom ? Just curious before I start cutting. I would like to keep it in one piece if I can so I can use it for a pattern. Thanks ,Bill
    t panel.JPG

2. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

rivets in corner braces?

3. 48stude

48stude

Hi Jerry, I drilled out two rivets on each side that attached those corner braces that I assume held rubber trunk bumpers. When I removed the firewall I had to drill out several spot welds. So based on that ,I'm wondering if there are spot welds on this part also. Bill

4. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

How about trunk latch area ?

5. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I replaced that panel in my '26 coupe and remember having that same problem. But don't get excited, I can't remember how I solved it. Seems like I had to cut something and weld it back together. It's been 6-7 years and my CRS is kicking in. I know. Not much help. Just moral support. If I remember what I did I will post. Sorry.

6. The panel is fastened down both sides and across the bottom with rivets and via the top corner brackets with either rivets or machine screws. Did you get all those removed? Even if you have all the fasteners removed, the panel is a pain to remove on something as rusty as your photo due to its curvature, factory fit, and rust/crud. The panel from the factory was slid into one quarter panel before the other quarter was installed and the trunk floor frame welded in place. You either have to cut the floor frame welds to pull one quarter out, or you can sometimes pry the quarters apart up toward the center of the deck lid opening enough to slide the panel up and twist it out. I don't advocate for that method since it puts strain on both the quarter panels and the connection at the top of the deck lid opening. With almost 100 years of crud and rust binding the panel in an already tight channel, it's going to feel solid even with the fasteners removed until you can work it back and forth or take a mallet to it. I'd cut the frame welds at one corner, knock the quarter out about 3/4" or so, and remove and install the panel.

48stude likes this.
  7. 48stude

48stude

I was thinking this was going to be more complicated, but hoping that it would be easier:cool: Thanks, I'm punching some louvers at the moment. After I finish up the louvers ,I'll be applying my new found knowledge to formulate a plan now that I have some things to look for. Thanks , Bill

dana barlow likes this.
  8. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Mostly rivets. I was lucky. I was able to slide my panel out with just a little bit of work. My Coupe only had rust in the front corners.
    I took my panel out by removing the the corner brackets and the 6 rivets on the bottom and slightly pushing the body rails out of the way.
    Sliding the new panel in that I got from Howard's was too easy.

dana barlow likes this.
  9. goldmountain

goldmountain

That panel tucks behind those "T" moldings along the sides so I just cut down the middle to get it out. With the new replacement panel, same problem so I cut it too and welded it back together once it was in place.

AndersF and Flathead Dave like this.
  10. 48stude

48stude

I'm hoping to use it as a pattern , I would like to keep it as close to one piece as I can. Bill