Register now to get rid of these ads!

Followed Ryan's lead! Added a stereo in the Merc!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bad Bob, Jan 4, 2012.

1. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Very cool idea. I just went with one speaker behind the original speaker grille and a 30 dollar kragen cassete deck in the glove box. then got one of those cassette tapes with the wire coming out of it and plug in my ipod. I also hooked the deck up to the ignition so i dont have to reach over and turn it off everytime i shut off the car. Its nothing huge or loud, but it really has that cool 50s radio feel to it, being mono and whatnot. Not to mention my music library basically spans from the 20s until 1960.... :D

2. axle

axle
    from Drag City

I love ya dude but whats next? "The adventures of Bob putting air in his tires" . I can see it now......................

3. What's your point? I thought you liked music. Is this TOO off topic for you?
    BTW...my tires already have air. But,if I change the air...i'll post it for you.

4. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

awesome!!! haha, love the suitcase!!!

I did it too before austin, i added a subwoofer and another amp and it's pretty good!!!:)

5. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

First flames, then an iPod, that Merc just keeps getting better. Go Bob go!

6. Next is interior....

7. Nice. Thats a great idea!

8. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

suitcase is a good idea bob

9. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

"I'm still looking for more of my favorites from when I was a kid".

Do you want your Debbie Gibson and Sha-Na-Na albums back? I'm done with them.

Dig the suit case sub woofer!

10. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ha – If you had tried to explain it I would have thought "cheezy", but that's really alright.

11. It's not really a sub-woofer,cause I tuned it to just be a larger speaker. very little bass.

Are you done with my Bay City Rollers too?

12. Bwahaha! Sha-na-na you could almost give a guy, but Debbie Gibson....? [hides old album from jr high out of sight].... LOL

Great job Bob! I saved that pic of your speakers in my file. I like that set up to get the speakers out of my doors while I am in the process of building a new dash and wiring for mine.

13. When I put it in the back seat,I didn't like that you could see the speaker. I searched for a cover,but everything looked too modern. I even considered a hubcap. Then I got the idea to use my mom's old hat,and I thought it looked cool.

14. rld14

rld14

Good stuff!

You did what I did to my Ford not too long ago, but on a grander scale. I just used a small 2 channel amp that uses a 3.5mm input, hid it under the dash and I have one speaker connected.. a cheap 6X9 in the stock location (Stock was a 6X9).

It sounds great, still gotta get the other speaker hooked up in the decklid, just gotta find the right speaker grille to use.

And for those who asked, yes I use my iPhone... and have used my iPad as well.

15. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

how long have you been riding around with out tunes in the merc?

16. Oh...about seven years. Never had tunes before.

17. mj40's

mj40's

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  18. studebakerdave

studebakerdave

hey bob are we still going to change the air in our tires this weekend ? dont forget your camera so we can post some pics

19. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Bob,
    Soon as you start taking Ladies in your Merc u get toons. I see:rolleyes:

20. Make sure it's traditional air...and see if you can get some pictures of the back sides of the tires when they aren't looking. :D

21. Since my Merc is already built,maybe I should do a maintenance thread! hahaha!

Proper use of a car-vac
    Cleaning the windows
    Where to put the gas
    Proper way to call for a tow truck
    Paying your AAA bill

22. Dave looks terrible in heels....

23. link wray oh hell ya big city cruzing down the road ! not much better then that even for Bad Bob

24. Ryan's set up is pretty high tech. Mine is very simple.

25. desotot

desotot

well, that is good use of an old suitcase, I am going to buy a couple of chrome music note speaker grills for my merc, can't live with the black offshore grills even though I like offshore sound systems, sorry all you tubeheads,, er tube radio fans is what I meant to say.

26. Yes!!! this thread would dominate this board.You forgot one thing though and we all want to know how you do this...... cleaning your whitewalls.That is a major part of your upcoming maintenance thread,that alone will probably bring 2 or 3 pages of post's.

27. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Hey, you know it seems like freaking ages since we had a "best way to clean whitewalls" thread!

Nice playlist Bob, a car like that should have nothing but traditional rock 'n' roll emanating from it. Which early Link Wray definitely is! "Turnpike USA" by the linkster is a particularly fine cruiser:cool:.
    Paul

28. Jalopy Journalist

Jalopy Journalist
    from Austin, TX

I like the sneaky hat trick. Really though, if you play guitar, you should hook up a jack to it so you can play on the go. As I understand, your car goes EVERYWHERE, so it would be a good way to relax. Who knows?

29. You know I was just responding to stupid Axle's post,right?
    BTW-I use dish washing soap on my WWW's,haha!

30. Kripfink...Link Wray,huh. I'll have to have my son hook me up with him. "Turnpike USA"...don't think I have heard that one.