Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Followed a B-17 today! FLIGHT PICS ADDED!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toast, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

I was driving home today and I noticed a B-17 flying around dowtown Tulsa. Soooooo, I followed it to the small airport about 2 miles from my house! I drove into the airport and took a bunch of pics. In one pic you can see where they were using a Hot Rod gas tank for some kind of air tank:D:D
    Think I may go for a ride in it tomorrow!! :eek: Pics to follow if I do!

I TOOK THE FLIGHT!!! PICS TO COME TOWARDS END OF THREAD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Whoa!!!! Awesome!!!!

3. These old 17's & 29's are a thing of beauty,,my dad was a gunner on both. HRP

4. flathead okie

flathead okie

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^same here, My Dad was a tail gunner on a B-17 during the war, then after that was transfered to Arizona to a B-29 base.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'll never get tired of seeing an old plane. Great pics!

6. LaSalle Gearbox

LaSalle Gearbox
    from ohio

Cool about your Dads, HRP and Okie. Mine drove a double tanker av gas truck through Europe to refuel them. Uncle was a bombardier on 29s.
    Can you imagine walking down the street in Schweinfurt or Dusseldorf and 500 or a thousand of those things show up? Aluminum Overcast indeed!
    Great pictures Mr. Toast.

7. Abomination

Abomination

They're on their way to Saint Louis, if anyone wants to catch a ride... too bad they're not coming to Kansas City this year.

http://www.b17.org/

~Jason

8. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Thinking about taking a ride in it tomorrow, kinda pricey but how many chances do you get to ride in something that cool!!

9. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

I took a ride a few years ago. You can stick your head out the hatch while it's flying. It was a great ride!

Attached Files:

10. svodoc

svodoc

The aluminum overcast came to Birmingham a few years ago, it is a beautiful bird. We got to see Fifi the b29 a couple of weeks ago, it's the last flying 29 in the world ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1372365304.178760.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1372365331.115861.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. I took a ride in a B-17 several years ago. The Collings Foundation has one and a B-24 that they bring to our local airport every couple of years. I could not pass up a ride. It was not cheap but what an experience. I would recommend it to anyone that likes old planes. I am sure if you Google Collings Foundation you can get their schedule. They have stops all over the country.

12. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

My Dad used to joke that their B-17 had Studebaker engines.

13. I have family on both sides of the bombings- Mrs. Yankee's grandfather was a navigator on a B-17 toward the end of the war.

My mom was born in Kiel in '38 and survived the bombings- told me that her father refused to leave their apt until they came out of the basement one morning, and found that buildings across the street had been LEVELED :O!

LOVE the pic that's looking past the supercharger/at the belly turret.

Enjoy the flight if you get the chance- 17's are deceptively small. I went through the one in the museum display at Fantasy of Flight with our daughter in a backpack. Between her on my back, and my 6'6" height, it was a tight it :D

14. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Bought my Son and myself a ride in "FIFI" this last St. Patrick's day when she was in Palm Springs. Expensive, yes but well worth it in my opinion.

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Incredible! I seen one come into town a few years ago and I could have studied all the details for hours.

16. ... THIS one :D

17. papa's 39 koop

papa's 39 koop

they were here June 7 8 9 at lees summit airport

18. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Terrific and you have to tip your hat to those guys who flew them, especially in those turrets! God Bless them all and God Bless America. Too many people today don't understand the sacrifice and courage of the WWII veterans that are leaving us in droves. Neighbor of my grandparents flew in B-29s and I have a picture of him giving me, I must have been 3 or 4, a tiny set of gold pilot's wings on my grandparents back stoop. I still treasure those in my little box of memories.

19. chevy348

chevy348
    from Ohio

Fi Fi was flying around here last week for the Dayton air show. Like a good sounding hot rod, radial engines in ww2 bombers and planes sound incredible. Nothing like it.

20. mow too much

mow too much

Way cool. :) I missed a chance to go up in one once.......maybe I'll get another sometime.

21. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

That's BadASS!!! Thanks for Sharing!!!!!!!

22. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Love those old war birds.Toast.That "hot rod"gas tank is actually an oxygen tank that feeds the whole system for the crew.There were several on board.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

23. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

I know, it was my attempt at humor:rolleyes:

24. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Too freakin cool! Thanks for snappin and postin the pics.

25. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

The Aluminum Outcast comes into Oxford Ct every year. Two years ago I splurged and took a flight. Yeah it was pricey, but damn....it was totally worth it.

The guys who flew those planes over Germany had some serious balls.

26. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Very cool! There was a p51 buzzing around my neck of the woods the other day. Those old planes are too cool...

27. 1928chevycoupe

1928chevycoupe

you can just drive onto any airport around there?

28. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

I drove up and parked within 50 yards of where the B-17 was and just walked up to it.

29. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think I seen it and another old war bird flying around last week,I can tell when one is flying around and will peek out of the garage when I hear them. Being close to the air force museum is nice as I see a few now and then.

30. Abomination:

The Aluminum Overcast was in Lee's Summit two weekends ago. Really great to hear those powerful radial engines overhead. There was a P-38 - one of only six still flying at the time back in 1984 - that was at a vintage overhaul hangar called Big Irons out at Richards-Gebaur Air Base in Belton. I wrote a story about it for the local newspaper I worked at back then. Got to climb all around it, but not inside the cockpit. Of course, no chance to fly in it, since they were one-seaters. Just love those old planes. If you're a gearhead or an airhead, you just geek out around 'em.