Register now to get rid of these ads!

Focus

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Shapes,
    You and many of the other "Young Guns" know as much if not more then I do about it. Some of it I have forgotten and some of it I never knew in the first place.

The nice thing about the web is that no one can see you and if they just read what you have to say they can only judge what it is you have to say and not your age, race or sexual orientation.

I am not as old as some, although there are days that I feel older. But I am old enough to have been around the old guys when I was growning up and to have experienced several of the best years that rodding and customs ever had. Some of the most ignorant statements about the way it was is made by some of the oldest guys on the HAMB and it takes a youngster to straighten it out on occaision. Hell I have made some of those statements myself.

You guys need to get off the young v old thing, its the web judge what is being said and not the age of who is saying it.

2. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Ryan...

Are there going to be dedicated mods to each forum? or is everybody moderating everything collectively?

(sorry if it has been mentioned already...this thread has blown up fast)

3. And therein lies the problem that has caused this. The HAMB Always had RULES - not enough folks followed them and they weren't always enforced! :eek:

But you see, that has nothing to do with the changes! That wasn't appropriate before, depending on how late 60's early 70's you take it, nothing has changed. The only difference is the rules that have always been in place are going to be enforced more. And there is nothing wrong with building a truck that way, it just doesn't sound like HAMB fodder.

Dennis ~ knowing your background it is no surprise to me that you have pointed this out so poignantly.

You hit that part right on the head. There is information to be learned and cool stuff to look at regardless of what you are building.

It seems to me that many who are complaining are expressing "ME, ME, ME" feelings instead of sitting back and understanding what this joint is all about. It seems that there are a bunch who want to belong because they see this as a place where the cool kids hang out and they want to be one. Only they aren't, so they want the place changed or the rules bent, so they can fit in. It's like saying "I know this is for pre 65 style Hot Rods and Customs, but I have a 68 Cadillac that lays frame with Bags dude and rolls on 20's and you need to accept it or you suck". Well, than I guess those that get it suck, but that guy needs to leave or shut up and learn and enjoy what this place is about. It's not a knock on his ride, it just doesn't belong HERE :cool:

One last thought - DOGFIGHT - I HATE that name (but enjoy it over there), it doesn't seem to fit the place in my opinion, it just reminds me of either WWI and II warplanes, or worse yet, Michael Vick. Wish something better for that forum's title .....

4. slammed

slammed

' Just shooting for late 60's early 70's look. That is when I was young and fell in love with cars." Soft medallic color, chrome reverse wheels, thin white wall, lowered 2", that is one that will fit the bill. Describe your intent w/it in detail. It is the finished look, sum of parts and style that is important.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think this is a good place to close this one... with a plan:

1. I'm going to let this ride for another week. That said, I can already see issues that we need to address. And that's good as that is the very reason we did this "beta" test.

2. Once this thing has some time to simmer, I will probably ask for more feedback.

3. We will then make further changes in an effort to narrow what I consider a pretty broad "grey area" in what we are allowing to be posted and what we are not. It's not clear enough yet.

So far, I have really mixed emotions about all of this. On one hand, I don't like disappointing people at all and I realize that I am disappointing a bunch of people right now. That's hard and it sucks.

And then there is the flip side... I really like how clean and smart the "focused" forums are looking thus far. To me, it's just really cool to see those focused and on-point threads in once place and easily browsable. It's sort of beautiful.

So, for the next week I am going to watch this really closely and start making notes and plans for the next step. I realize many of you are doubting me right now - I get that. All I can do is promise ya that I'm gonna try my hardest to make this work for as many traditionally minded people as I possibly can.

R.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.