Register now to get rid of these ads!

Floor Jacks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dick Dake, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

I consider this HAMB friendly. I just shit canned my Harbor Freight turd after the thing almost killed me and need a new one. Who sells a good value one? I can't afford a super duper big money one. That is all.

2. garcoal

garcoal

try the snapon truck they cost just a little more and they are fully rebuildable in 20 years when they finally need it the sears ones arent rebuildable good stuff is only expense once when you replace the cheap one it gets a little pricey

3. toddc

toddc

I used to buy cheap trolley jacks. The last 3 survived for about a week each lifting my ~4000 pound Jag.

The $ spent on 4 cheapo jack was as much as a BluePoint. So, instead of another cheap POS, I bought a BluePoint. All good so far.

All the cheap ones here in Oz are the same basic jack painted a different colour.

4. INXS

INXS

I have a Hein Werner circa 1960 that will probably outlive me. You might try auctions for older professional name brands like that or Lincoln or old Blackhawk.

I also have a Evercraft brand which is NAPA's economy line. It's about twelve years old and never given me any reason not to trust it.

Their pro line is blue and yellow and I think made by Lincoln. Ask if they are having any Tool and Equipment sales coming up and you might find a good deal for a bit more than you want to spend but would be worth it long term.

5. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

Mine also just blew a seal,a Sears and the unit is not rebuilable like you said.You can buy the replacement hydraulic cylinder from Sears for $74 or the cheapest I found was a Summit one for $76 for the whole thing.

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I bought a snap on jack 25 years ago, use it a lot, still good. buy a good, name brand jack and you wont regret it

7. buick320a

buick320a
    from indiana

If you can wait a few weeks..........NAPA usually has a hell of a deal on good guality floor jacks at the Street Rod Nat in Louisville (if you are going) .....
    worth the wait. I think I paid $125 last year(maybe $135 ?)

8. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Never had my Craftsman floor jack giveway,...not to expensive and worth every penny thus far! Though i'd love to have an old snap on from the early 40s,...!!

9. The Dodge Guy

The Dodge Guy

Snap on stuff is kinda high but it works great

10. scruff

scruff

I bought a Walker floor jack in 1980 for $300. and have abused the shit out of it and have never had to add oil. Ten years ago a friend bought a blue point which was a near clone of my Walker and has been very happy with it.

11. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

I have an old Black hawk that still works great.
    Just threw away a craftsman aluminum jack that lasted 1 year and 1 week (1 year warranty). If I had realize I was coming up on the 1 year mark I would have taken that oil leaking POS back and exchange it.

12. krooser

krooser

I bought a Craftsman 2 ton in Ocala, Fl in 1988 while I was racing in the IMCA Florida Modfied Series... I've added oil twice. MIJ but works fine.

13. river1

river1

14. Abomination

Abomination

Anything made by Walker Manufacturing Co is badass!

~Jason

15. Homemade44

Homemade44

Bought a Walker in about 1970 and it has been very good. Used it a lot and have had to rebuild it twice, last time about a month ago. Kit was about $25. Also have an old Weaver that was made in the 40's, given to me and I rebuilt it. Very good heavy duty jack. Buy a quality jack and you will be $s ahead in the long run.

16. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

My cousin just bought a Craftsman from sears it was top of the line and in a month, which was using it only 4 times, it leaked, he read up online and everyone had the same problem, crap, the aluminum ones are just as bad.. I'd go for snapon.. well just dont get craftsman i guess.. the guy at sears took it back and said everyone has returned them! haha.. oh well.. this was like 2 months ago and not in 1980 or anything by the way.. quality has gone down the tubes.
    -Anthony

17. I bought a 2-ton "Goodwrench" in Wal-mart when I needed one in a pinch (the gas tank was trying to fall off and I needed something to get under it with) for $25. It's worked okay for a couple years now, my biggest issue is it doesn't go up all that high, but it's fine for changing tires on my Suburban.

18. i have a monster lincoln floor jack that requires a troop of boy scouts to move the fucker around! i also have one one the aluminum harbor freight ones that has never given me any trouble and keeps my back in place when its loaded for a road trip.

19. Wildfire

Wildfire

Read the vorshlag reviews. Napa jacks are supposed to be good at about $219. I went to Sears and bought their $129, looks just like the Napa. Doubt it is the same though. We'll see, my last Sears lasted about 10 years - it will live on since its frame will get chopped up to make brackets and such for the hot rod.

20. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

EVERY friggin POS power tool that Sears sells is made by Ryobi. I haven't had anything but BAD luck with that Korean crap!!

Buy the best, your life is worth it!

Save your knuckles too, buy new or used Snap-On, Mac, S-K, etc. Craftsman sucks!

21. kustombypook

kustombypook

I bought one of the big blue 2 ton jacks from SAMS about 10 years ago. It has been used and abused and I have never had any trouble with it. I can't remember the brand name of it. My dad bought the same one several months before I got mine and his is still going strong too.

22. Abomination

Abomination

You should check out the history of Walker. It's pretty cool - they f'n INVENTED the jack... and now are the world's leading supplier of OEM exhausts:
    Here's the official version:
    http://www.walkerexhaust.com/about/walkerhistory.asp

Cooler version:
    http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/Walker-Manufacturing-Company-Company-History.html

Here's a copy/paste:

"In 1912 Willard Walker met John Dwight of the Mitchell Motor Company on a Chicago-bound train. Before reaching the Windy City the two agreed that Walker's company would design and produce a "tire saver" to hold stored automobiles up off their slight tires during the winter when few were driven because of snow and ice. The "tire saver," which later became better known as a "jack," was Economy Spring's entry into the burgeoning automobile industry. Within four years the Walkers' jack factory employed 400 workers, and the company's name was officially changed from Economy Spring to Walker Manufacturing."

It goes on to how they didn't invent the muffler, but developed the first "real" ones. They make Thrush mufflers now, and are under the same parent company as Monroe (the shock folks).

~Jason

23. jonny o

jonny o

The walmarket jack that got me through a rusted through trans-crossmember in a parking lot 6 years ago is finally showing it's age. I'm a big fan of letting the car down real slow, and now all I have to do is pump it high enough to get it off the stands and leave... it's auto-down. Was really surprised it lasted that long.

24. I got mine at Sears about 27 yrs ago, and it's fine except for a small leak that requires me to top it off about once a year. Under $200 I recall. BUT, I can't guarantee they sell the same quality today. Hein Werner's really good if you can find it. Snap-On stuff's OK, but they sure overcharge for it! Do you have Costco near you? They tend to sell quality goods with a fantastic return policy

25. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

After going thru about 5 craftsmans in 15 years due to seal failure decided to try an orange harbor frieght cheapie. It's starting to have quirks but is 5 years old and literally done 3X the work of any of those craftsmans.

Dunno about the blue pointe jacks, but reaching a snap on truck can be a chore for a backyarder. Great thread though, and will be looking into the napa and blue pointe jacks for sure.

26. Ask your local hydraulic stuff rebuilder if he has any old Lincoln jacks. That will be my next tool purchase.

27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

how did your jack almost kill you?

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was teaching auto shop I constantly had to have the Walkers and Napa jacks rebuilt.. Maybe the kids were harder on them than a guy who is the only one to use one but I didn't have good luck with them.

I've found out one thing and that is no jack will hold up if you constantly overload it. They have to be up to the task.

I've had a Harbor Freight jack for years but will probably get a Costco one to go along with it before the end of the year. The Harbor freigh jack is starting to leak down if you leave it holding up a rig though.

One more thing, who the hell gets under a car on any jack without jack stands or blocks? that is asking for trouble from the get go. The first thing my auto shop teacher laid the law down to us on 46 years ago during the first autoshop class we were in was that you didn't get under any car unless it was secure on stands.

29. kustombypook

kustombypook

Amen to that.

Before I even pull the jack out, I get the jackstands and get them in place. Then I jack up the car and put the stands under it.

30. I thought that was a given; even a dumbass like me knows better.