Register now to get rid of these ads!

Floaters in drag cars ... why??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SAM123, Feb 15, 2012.

1. The below pic was just posted by Bucksnort in the "Drag cars in motion ... picture thread" and lights and red flags went off in my head ... thats a floater rear end so I gotta ask "Why".

In 1973 a guy bought a '63 dodge 1-ton from me and I asked him if it was for the 318 and he said, " hell no I am after the rearend for my drag car." I forgot about that. So almost forty years later I ask "Why"??

BTW Hit the "Drag car in motion thread" .... damn good stuff!

Attached Files:

2. Tony

Tony

I'm gonna assume, strength.
    Floaters have inner and outer bearings at the axle ends, vs the single bearing on non floaters, and very possibly have larger axles as well.
    Probably worth their weight in gold back in the day before HD axles, or purpose made race axles were produced.

Could be wrong, but then again, maybe not :)
    Tony

3. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

If you broke an axle the wheel did not come off.
    They were strong also.

4. Saxxon

Saxxon

Very common back in the day well before the technology we currently have for diffs. They were cheap, strong, inexpensive and plentiful. More often then not they came with the desired ratios 4.10, 4.56, 4.88 etc. Very easy to change axles if and when you ever broke one

5. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Back in the day, a tech inspector could not see if you were running "safety hubs". These were designed to retain the wheel if the axle broke. So a lot of tracks required full floating axles in many classes. Usually "Gas Class or above".
    Plus as said they were strong and geared right.

6. As Pete1 said safty, wheels won't come off. Used in roundy round car for that same reason back in the day. and they were geared lower than car rears most were 4.11 or 4.88, cheap and plentiful.... the franklin quick change rear was built using those gearsets. I think drag cars used them for those low gears

7. We used them in stock cars years ago, for all the reasons mentioned. Heavy, but was un-sprung weight and nothin' ever broke on them. The Dodge truck rears were preferred, not as heavy as comparable Ford and Chevy rears, but still strong.

Bob

8. k9racer

k9racer

I will add another reason.. Years ago very few racers had trailers so they flat towed. This way just slide out the axels put a cover over the open end. That way the Ring and pinon and drive shaft did not move. With todays tires you would be breaking those truck axels from the shock delivered to them.. Bobby.

9. This is all good stuff .... thanks everyone.

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Yes...towing! Trailers were for rich people, once...
    Up into the '70's, you could buy bearing adators that went between you non-floater and the back wheels, to allow freewheeling for the tow home...they were rather expensive until compared to a trailer!

11. I absolutely remember that! A real blast from the past.

Bob

12. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Hell, don't Pro Mods use a floater of some sort today?

13. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Does anyone know the history about the J & J Racing Team car in the photo.

I was from the Norwalk area and was wondering who owned the car at the time of this photo and if it is still around.

Thanks Jimbo

14. BTTT ... for the lunch bunch.