Register now to get rid of these ads!

FlexSeal for oil leaks WTF

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ochamsrasor, Feb 12, 2014.

1. ochamsrasor

ochamsrasor
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know it is hard to believe but the FlexSeal stuff you see on TV really works on oil leaks that for one reason or another you want to postpone the proper repair.I had a timing chain cover leaking on a SBC, we were ready to go on a 200 mile cruise and I did not want to take everything apart to re gasket prior to the cruise.

SOOOO I took out the ole brake clean gave it a proper dose and then took the air hose and dried it well. I masked off the area, sprayed the area where the gasket showed and when I pulled off the tape it looked like a new gasket. I have put on a couple thousand miles and no leak. They advertise it will withstand high heat and so far it does.

Before everyone pulls out their favorite firearm. I do not advocate using this method instead of a proper gasket job. Under the circumstances that I used it I would do it all over again.......try it before you knock it.

rjones35 likes this.
  2. noboD

noboD

You mean the stuff they fix rain gutters and canoes with? Cool.

3. I may try this. I have a 7.3 ltr powerstroke with a leaking oilpan. The engine has to come out to replace the pan gasket. Dealership is around $2,000. Currently I don't have the time to do it.

belair likes this.
  4. ochamsrasor

ochamsrasor
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just be sure it is squeaky clean so the flex seal gets a good grip or it will fail.

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Might be something to have a can of brake cleaner and Flex seal in a road kit for an emergency, but I probably wouldn't use it at home.

6. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Ochamsrasor....thanks for the tip. I'm anxious to try it for the reason you posted.

How thick did you apply it? More than one coat?

I think Rustoleum makes it now in more colors like aluminum and brown.

7. ochamsrasor

ochamsrasor
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am not sure it is the same.........

8. ochamsrasor

ochamsrasor
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

watch their commercial.........they take a torch to it!!! and they specifically say in the commercial it stands up to high temps.....I am sure what you say you read on the website is the normal disclaimer...........the important thing is I tried it, it works and I am happy and if you would ask me who I intended to please with that can in my hand ME!

9. ochamsrasor

ochamsrasor
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2 coats, it seeps into the area of the gasket failure, then swells if you do a nice tape job the finished product looks like a new gasket.

10. sunbeam

sunbeam

I've used the stuff that NAPA sells with some success on the end gaskets on FE Fords.

61 Sunliner likes this.
  11. fsae0607

fsae0607

Good for emergency repairs, but I would not use it in place of a normal gasket. Good to know, though!

12. Southern Motors

Southern Motors

Every FE Ford I've had leaks like a sieve, just don't get me started on the weight of that intake...

13. 3030

Will it work on a flathead rear main seal. If so it's a miracle!

14. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Flex Seal® will withstand your normal water pressure

Wonder what they consider normal........50 lbs?

15. slammed

slammed

Cool. you never know until you try. Bought you some more cruise time.

16. fsae0607

fsae0607

From their website:

Q: How much pressure will Flex Seal® withstand?
    A: Flex Seal® withstands normal water pressure and rainwater and is not made to withstand extreme pressures.

Without engineering data, I would say not to use it for pressure applications. FOr me, it's a red flag when they have "pressure" and "rainwater" in the same sentence.

17. RDP

RDP
    from Kansas

I have used it on some other things around the house with good luck. I will keep it in mind if I am in a jam.

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Read the online reviews. The consensus seems to be that it is a total fraud.

19. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

I have a can, thought about using it for undercoating or on my floor as a added seam seal....don't think i would use it for a oil leak, anything big enough to not let leak for a short period would need a proper repair, but good to know it might work in a pinch.

20. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

A few people missed your opening sentence I guess.

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why does the OP sound like an infomercial?

22. fsae0607

fsae0607

It says "...not made to withstand extreme heat..." yet they take a torch to it in the infomercial???

WTF is going on?

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. M224SPEED

M224SPEED
    from Missouri

Come on guys,nobody said it was a cure all !
    Who ever knew super glue would be used in place of stitches ?

25. Ddooce

Ddooce
    from Memphis Tn

The folk who developed it - that was what it was developed for. Very effective too as I can personally testify.

As for flexseal I think I will let someone else try it first!

Truck64 likes this.
  26. slammed

slammed

Because he car articulate his results into a smooth delivery?

27. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

So, it sounds like you naysayers are calling the OP a flatout liar. Geez guys, he's just telling us his experience. I doubt if he saw the commercial on TV, then decided just to screw with us.

28. prpmmp

prpmmp

Did not use flex shield but did change from 30 grade oil(for break in) to 5-30 Syntech(synthetic) and small leak is gone!! don't understand it but no leak!! Pete

29. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Yeah, he's an Alliance Member not an Alliance Vendor.

30. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Personally, I have used RTV to fix a leak like the OP had. If you know where it is leaking, just clean the area with brake clean while pulling a vacuum on the crankcase using a shop vac. Last one I did was an engine that used a road draft tube for a vent. I put a rubber expansion plug in the oil fill tube and hooked my shop vac to the draft tube and turned it on. I sprayed the brake clean in the suspected area and you could watch it evaporate right where I thought it was leaking. I then was able to get some "right stuff" rtv in the area and watch it too start to draw into the void. I shut off the vacuum and let it set for over 24 hours.

That was a couple years and several thousand miles ago and as far as I am concerned it is a permanent fix. Hasn't leaked a drop since.

Blue One, pat59, belair and 1 other person like this.