Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flexplate ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robber grin, May 10, 2013.

1. Good Morning HAMB-Nation...

I'm going with a 1983 TH350(C) in my 62 C10 - since I have it on hand and it was shifting good when I pulled it.

Motor is a 1964 Chevy truck 283 V8.

I need a new 168 tooth flexplate since mine has several teeth missing.

N@P@ has one for the 83 1/2 ton - PN:BK 6005042 - reasonably priced - in stock.

S~R and others list multiple aftermarket 168 tooth flexplates and they ask 1 or 2 piece rear seal... Which leaves me in a quandry...

Do I pull the flexplate PN from transmission or engine point of reference or what does it really matter?

I assume something to do with changing the rear seal when needed. (I already did)

Thanks in advance and have a glorious day y'all.
    rg

Attached Files:

2. your 283 has a two piece rear seal

3. looking at Napaonline that 6005042 doesn't look right....has the added balance weight. i believe you should be using 6005024

4. Yep I changed it when I went over the motor - I just don't know what that would have to do with a flexplate choice...

Thanks 36-3w.
    rg

5. it has everything to do with the flexplate on a SBC......the crankshafts are different between one piece and two piece rear main seals , and the bolt patterns for the flexplate are different

i believe you switched the 2 and 4 in your first post

napa 6005024 should work just fine for you

6. (PROBABLY did flip # - I do that at times) My buddy was telling me that the newer one piece seal engines were different - thanks for confirming that.

The plate that came off the 83 bolted right to the 64 crank, so I'm guessing I will be good to go with the one you found online.

Thanks again
    rg

7. triumph 1

triumph 1

Yes, you should be fine using the 1983 flexplate on your 283.
    SB chevy switched to the one piece rear main seal in '86-'87 and up engines.

8. Thanks T1... stopping by the store on the road home.
    rg