Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flatheads in Strange Places

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by haroldd1963, Oct 29, 2007.

1. HOTRODDICKIE

HOTRODDICKIE

I built a T truck about 12 years ago with a 21 stud Flattie I pulled out of a Fire Pump. The guy I bought it off worked at the Shell Oil refinery where the pump came from and couldn't bear them to scrap it. He said every month for the 30 years he was there it was fired up once a month for an hour then shut down.
    It was a real good motor, wish I had pulled it before I sold the truck.
    Rich

2. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Tall Tom,

Was the tractor you saw an 8N or 9N by chance? If so, these tractors came stock with the Banger, but there was a company that made a V8 conversion kit.

3. hollywood 423

hollywood 423
    from west ohio

One of the 8-N conversions is from Awesome Henery, in Maplewood Ohio..www.awesomehenery.com....Theres a guy around here got a Lincoln V-12 in a 8-N..Talk about a bitchen tractor..

4. Rolo,

A bit OT, but the Buda (4 cyl) engine was used in the US version of the Renault FT 17 light tank (WWI). Neat find!

5. alchemy

alchemy

Forgot about boats. My Dad is hot to get an old wooden boat with a V8 flathead in it. Keeps visiting boat restoration shops when he goes on vacation.

I have a conversion kit to put an A engine in an old wooden boat. Has a large aluminum oil pan/lower mount, in-out box, and other miscellaneous schtuff. But I don't have an A engine or a boat. Go figure.

6. ThePress

ThePress

There's a video on YouTube.com of a nice wooden boat with a flathead in it...it sounds awesome.

The company that started selling conversion kits to put flatheads in Ford tractors was actually an aircraft parts company (called Funk Conversions I think)..... I want to build one for my 2N tractor!

7. Gigantor

Gigantor

There's a giant septic sucker around here with a flathead behind the cab powering the poop pump.

8. nero

nero

in ww 2 the navy had torpedo haulers w flat head 8 s we have one on desplay next to the uss cod in cleveland

9. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's the most odd configuration I've seen, a Cadillac flathead with Hydramatic connected to the front of a Ford flathead crank. Not sure what the story is, maybe the Ford died and they hung the Caddy on the front to avoid having to change transmission components, etc. I could never figure out how they kept the crank oiled. No oil pan on the Ford flattie, maybe they put grease zerks on the main caps and hit 'em with the gun every so often. I didn't crawl under and look.

Attached Files:

10. ThePress

ThePress

That reminds of a photo I saw once of two motors linked together like that...one was the 'driver' motor and the second one was 'driven' by that motor and used as a water pump...water was sucked in through a modified intake and pumped out through the exhaust manifolds.

11. gashog

gashog

60's Sting Ray :)

Attached Files:

12. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

A friend of the family had a SCHRAMM dozer, it was about the size of a VW as far as width and length with tracks about 8" wide and it was powered by a Ford Flathead V-8. They were used by the SeaBee's in WWII and were designed to be air dropped or carried in on landing craft to clear temporary landing sites and runways until the areas were secured and heavier stuff brought in. He raced Flathead powered stock cars and picked it up just because it had a flathead, he used it to clear his driveway in the Winter until a collector saw it sitting outside one day and offered him too much money for it. Sorry no picture.

13. gashog

gashog

Late model corvette :)

Attached Files: