Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flatheads; good, bad and ugly!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Digger_Dave, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

The recent upswing in the popularity of the good 'ole Ford flathead - you can even buy NEW blocks! - got me to thinking that maybe some of those joined AFTER 2005 may not be aware that there is some VERY good "FLATHEAD" stuff buried in the TECH archives.

One thread that probably ran the longest - or at least is the biggest - started somewhere in 2004 and included some detailed "RE-BUILD" information.

So ... without any further ado; I'm bringing it forward for all newer "flathead fanatics" to refer to.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23305&&showall=1

The thread starts slow - a bit of banter - BUT; "hang in", it gets GOOD!! :D

2. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

thanks a ton. thats some good useful info.

3. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I got about 1/3 thru it and it is amazing and confusing all at the same time, but a lot of good stuff...thanks for the post

4. Great thread. Thanks for the link!

5. cruiserbuddy

cruiserbuddy
    from Germany

I´m now at this time building up a german Ford Flathead, which is brandnew from factory (built in 1963 for the german army, found it in a friends barn in the original wooden box) and got tons of good information in this linked thread. I would like to know about the shown PCV Valve system made by rat bastard, did it work well?
    What I will use on my motor to keep the right temperture, is to drill little holes in the thermostats, to keep a little steady flow in the system (made this on my 350 Chevy engine, works well) and I will use a selfmade radiator with a cooling net from a tractor (the cooling surface is higher and theres more coolant in it, because tractor motors are capsuled). In Germany we have small radiator makers, who can fit radiators for Your personal needs, but You should have them in the States, too,dont You?
    I´ve made good experience with water wetter, hows Your experience with it?