Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead with centerforce problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gaplater, Feb 6, 2008.

1. gaplater

gaplater
    from lilburn

I have a stock 8BA with 39 ford transmission and bought a centerforce clutch setup, but found out they do not have a throw out bearing set up to work with it. The stock Ford bearing has an interference problem with the weights on the clutch. I am looking for an answer to the problem with out having to go back to the long style clutch.

2. Zig Zag Wanderer

Zig Zag Wanderer

your enemy is the 1 3/8 - 10 spline and the big bearing retainer that goes with it. my only suggestion that i can think of is that 49-57 or so ford passenger cars use a 3 speed trans that's kind of a kissing cousin to the early box,but has a smaller 1 1/8 - 10 spline. it may be possible to use that input shaft, and make a new bearing retainer that utilizes the original 39 base and has the 49-up sleeve size. it may then be possible to use a 49 throwout bearing or you may have to modify your 39 fork to work.

3. You can take the ring and the weights off if that's what you need to do to use it since you already have it, they don't do that much. I've taken them off after they slung out and got caught under the plate itself when the fingers were depressed from a high rev speed shift. After taking them off, the pedal effort was no different on the SBC or 400 Olds. They may help depress the fingers by centrifugal force a tiny bit, I think it's mostly a gimmick counting on the fact that no one will pay to buy one and run it with and without the weights to compare. After they get that fine red rust dust & clutch dust on them, I question their ability to slide and center themselves anyway. I had a vibration that I couldn't get rid of, finally pulled the clutch apart, seen the shiny spots on the fingers where the weights were riding off center, took the weights off, vibration gone. No more centerforces for me.

4. BigChief

BigChief

Centerforce makes a package for the 1968-1/2thru 1970 428CJ/toploader combo and that also uses a 1-3/8" x10 spline input shaft and appropriately sized front bearing retainer. You may be able to use that T.O. bearing (or part of it - it presses apart) to make yours work.

Have you tried contacting Centerforce to see what the problem may be? You could also find a good driveline or clutch shop in your area that has been around a while. They'll have pieces/parts that they can use to make up something for you.

-Bigchief.

5. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

Been there and done that with a truck clutch ,the weights hit the the inside of the bell housing So I cut them off. Worked fine!

6. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

What is the advantage of a Centerforce clutch over a stock Ford clutch with a stock flathead? I used a Merc flywheel with the Borg & beck clutch to get away from the Long clutch. Just wondering.

7. Backtoflatheads

Backtoflatheads

I have to ask.... what's everybody's probelem with the Long style clutch ???

I have Stock class Chevy race car... which uses 10.5" Ford" Long style pressure plate ( mind you, it IS aluminum ).
    After driving this... I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Going to be building a completely uncivilized flattie, and I can tell you, it WILL be getting the proper Long style pressure plate... even WITH the "Chevy" super T10.

I say scrap the center force gimmick, and get the old Ford unit back in there;)

8. gaplater

gaplater
    from lilburn

Just trying to find something a little better than stock. Centerforce says they don't make a throw out bearing or have any idea what to use. Good thing to find out after you have the clutch! Thanks for the info I guess I'll cut of the weights and bo with that.

9. BigChief

BigChief

With a whopping 200hp and 300ft/lbs of torque out of a serious flatty a 10" or 11" Long style clutch is plenty for just about any flatty. You shouldn't need anything special for it. Toss the Centerforce on E-Bay and go buy a decent high performance long style clutch and be done with it. Save your money and put it to good use someplace else.

Bigchief.