Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead valve noise w/ adjusted lifters?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bugman, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Bugman

Bugman

I'm working on a Ford 8BA, rebuilt not to long ago. It's got a Max-1 cam and adjustable lifters. I reset set all the lifters to the recomended .014". It still ticks like a valve is way out of adjustement. I read on another post that sometimes the horseshoe clip holding the valve guide in can be too loose and cause a valve tick type sound. How can I test to see if this is the case? Any other things I should look at? What else could cause valve tick sound? Thanks for the help.

2. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

if you have readjusted the valves after initial adjustment and the tick is still there you may wish to check your fuel pump push rod it makes a similar sound hitting the fuel pump rocker.

3. Bugman

Bugman

No fuel pump pushrod on this engine, it's been converted to use an electric pump so the pushrod was removed. The owner said the car didn't make the noise when he bought it a short while ago. All the lifters were close to spec with nothing way out of line when he brought it in, so I don't think it's the cam going flat either.

4. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

A cam lobe partially gone can sometimes be noisy.

5. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I have a fresh engine with about 1k on it in my roadster, I used an EAC merc cam and stock lifters. I ground the valve tips to set the clearance when I assembled the engine. I also have a valve ticking like a sumbitch. annoying...:mad: I'm going to swap the cam for something more exotic and a set of adjustables. I hop it cures my tic...tic...tic...

6. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Mine ticks - non-adjustables, unknown cam (probably stock) - plan to replace with a custom Edgy cam & adjustables. Haven't yet...live with the diesel sound. :(

7. side_valve

side_valve
    Alliance Vendor

Run Brad Penn 20w-50w oil. Made my ticking valves go away.

8. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

You know, a buddy of mine said the same thing... hmm... I've got VR1 20w-50 in there now.

9. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

The only Fo Mo Co flathead that didn't have an audible sewing machine clackity clack sound to it was the Lincoln 337 with the zero lash lifters. I have heard some that were a little louder than others though. Might be weaker than normal valve springs I don't know.

10. Bugman

Bugman

This isn't that sound. This sounds like one very loose valve hammering even though they're all within spec.