Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Flathead tranny question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zapato, May 18, 2016.

1. Anyone know bolt size and thread count for the six bolts that hold down the shifter on top of a Ford 3 speed of the flatty era.

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

5/16-18 7/8 long with lockwashers

bct likes this.
  3. Coarse or fine thread?

4. Never mind...I see it. Thanks

5. Mac VP

Mac VP

The shifter housing bolts are shouldered. We recommend staying with them in your rebuild. It's probably one of those tiny things but the shoulders keep the housing in exact alignment on the gearbox......keeping the shift forks exactly where they're supposed to be. We reuse the original Ford shift housing bolts.....cleaned up of course.

timwhit likes this.
  6. Mac, wish we had the original bolts unfortunately this truck is a basketcase and it seems every time we turn around something is missing. And it's all the little things that slow us down

We are looking for a distributor hold down clamp and so far it has escaped us. So if anyone has one for an 52 ford flathead please let me know.

7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep watching eBay for the distributor clamp. I did about a month ago and one showed up in a week or so with a "Buy-It-Now" of less than $10.00. You might also want to try "Shoebox Central".

Good luck.