Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods flathead to trans ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hiboy32, Jun 8, 2011.

1. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

is it possible to mate a 59ab to a 50 shoebox trans? What adapters ( if any) would work?

2. alchemy

alchemy

How about you trade the late Ford trans for a '49 Merc? They use the adapter bellhousing, so you could remove that and fit it to the early block right? Bruce?

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Yes, a '49-'50 Mercury transmission would accomplish what he wants to do.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Also there is an oddball transitional bellhousing used on (TYPO!! Should be '51 Merc) Mercs that goes from early Ford pattern to late Ford trans...a second route.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011

5. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

cool, looks like I am lookin for a 29-50 merc trans or a 52 merc bellhousing. looks like this turned into a want ad.

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Make that '51 Merc...typo. And you need an early one identifiable by havig the big circular boltpattern for early Ford at front, little 4-bolt late Ford at rear...there were several '51 variations. The type you want would ALSO have used the separate front bellhousing ring adapter used '49-50 that made rear of late block like 59A.

7. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Bruce and Alchemy, I cant say enough. this is the kind of news I was hoping to hear. As most everyone know, I have worn out another flatty. I have a line on a 59ab and was just wondering if this swap was possible. I dont want to change the trans, I love the column shift and over drive. I truely believe that the overdrive is going to keep this next flatty alive much, much much longer. I also dont want a t-5, just not what I want. My first choice would be the bellhousing, but the merc trans is a close second...

Jeff

8. What? You wore out your flatty?

9. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Yeah, they dont make them like they used to..

10. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Anyone have pictures of this transitional bellhousing? I don't think I have one but I could keep an eye out.

11. alchemy

alchemy