Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead startup after ten years. Advice?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eric H, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Eric H

Eric H

I am looking for any tips or precautions prior to trying to start my 51 8ba for the first time since 1999. I have brand new fuel line with filter, tank, hoses, fluids, cap/rotor, wires and plugs. I ran new lines to and from the oil filter as well. The engine was a low mile reman when the car was parked in a very dry garage. Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance. Eric.

2. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

Fresh oil change, little oil swirted in into the the cylinders wouldnt hurt. Turn it over by hand for two or three ful revs to get the oil moving around. That should do it.

3. Be sure you have proper oil circulation/pressure.
    Poor a bit of oil into the hole at rear of block where the oil sender screws in.
    Install mechanial oil pressure gauge and keep an eye on it.

4. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

1. Prime or pre-oil the oiling system first. There are a couple of ways to do it using the filter inlet line. Disconnect the inlet line and clamp a plastic funnel to it then pour a quart of oil in. My preferred method is to use a small plastic garden tank sprayer with spray handle removed. Clamp the hose to the filter line, put a quart of oil in the spray tank and pump it up. Be sure to release the pressure before the spray tank empties. Re connect the line to the filter.

2.Prefill the carb with fresh gas.

Fire it up.

5. Eric H

Eric H

Thanks for the great tips guys.