Register now to get rid of these ads!

flathead sparkplug?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopped top, Jun 7, 2005.

1. What plug have you had the best luck with in a 59ab? Thanks

2. Jaypee

Jaypee
    from Finland

Champion h-10. Never had any troubles with them.

Jaypee

3. Thanks Jaypee, thats what came out it, but have heard guys complaining about champions, thought I would check.

4. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Iv heard the complaints to, but they have worked ok for me. You can get em in the lawn mower department. No BS :D

5. Jaypee

Jaypee
    from Finland

I´ve heard the complaints also about Champions, but like i said earlier never had any troubles with them. I once tried NKG´s and noticed that if i have the mixture just a little too rich the spark is gone. NKG´s don´t stand rich mixture at all.

Jaypee

6. MBL

MBL

You may want to post this on the main board....as far as plugs...I had been using champions and I had been told by several flathead gurus to get em out of there...and use Autolite 216 plugs....just did that with my flattie....and well its running better than it did....but there were other factors with my engine as well. For me...I go with what the old timers say. Autolite 216.
    Tim
    MBL

7. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

I always ran Champions. On a long road trip I had three go bad. I kept putting champs back in. then I tried Autolite 386 (18mm equiv of 216's) in my 21 stud. I still have the set I put in three years ago and they are still running fine.

8. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

I always use Autolite 216 and never have any problems.

9. Autolite 216's get my vote over champions after 28k miles of road testing.

10. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I've always run Champions, but I think I'll give the Autolites a try.

11. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Usually don't take the Merc out after November; shut it down and cover it up. Fall before last that's what I did. Started it up about once a month until March when it's time to get it out again. When I started it up in March it was running like hell. Replaced the Champion H-10's with Autolite 216; made a world of difference. The H-10'ss had 1900 miles on them. I'm now sold on the Autolites.

12. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

I got no idea why one guy had problems with NGK as they are arguably the best around. The B6L is the most popular but they are available in hotter and colder heat ranges.

Champs are pure garbage unless you have NOS. Current ones are rolled threads which mess up aluminum heads. Quality is also piss poor as they are no longer US made.

Autolite used to be my choice until I got some bad out of the box one time too many.

These days most knowledgable builders opt for the NGK.

13. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I'm running champions now with no problems but I've been wanting to try the autolites. I sure as hell wouldn't put a fuckin' jap plug in my flathead. :eek:

14. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

I use what works best, consistent repeatability, and have no use for your fuckin racism.

15. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Automotive Stud
    I'm running champions now with no problems but I've been wanting to try the autolites. I sure as hell wouldn't put a fuckin' jap plug in my flathead.

I guess you dont use any fuckin saudi or Norwegian oil either ;-)